Jumping your starting battery

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

This is only a question, but I’m curious to know. Let’s say your starting battery dies while on the water, and you have a 24 volt trolling motor system. Can you jump your starting battery from your 24 volt system without any issues? Is there such a thing as too many volts and damage can occur? Or should a person disconnect 1 side of your 24 volt system before jumping the battery?

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

No need to disconnect cables. Jump your battery using only one of your deep cells and you will have only 12 volts even with the cables connected. Hope this helps.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

No need to disconnect cables. Jump your battery using only one of your deep cells and you will have only 12 volts even with the cables connected. Hope this helps.

XX 2 Right on….

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I have tried this in the past.
    It does work
    IF
    you are using jumper cables that are big enough gauge
    to supply enough current for your engine.
    Small gauge cables just don’t cut it for jumping from the TM batteries
    or another boat.

kroger3
    blaine mn

On a side note make sure you shut off any electronics while jump starting. It can be tough on sensitive electronics and does not take much to burn out a screen.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Have done it many times using automobile jumpers. In a pinch without jumpers youll have to move one of your trolling batts to get the job done.

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

I work part time at an auto auction. In 20 degree weather 2 weeks ago I jumped and started 12 cars with my Weego. Never used it on my boat but I’m sure it would work fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.