John Gillespie

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I bet he’s a lot more tame when the cameras off.

Yes, his on camera / on stage persona is a show. A big blustering gigantosaurus show, but still a show.

My impression of him changed completely based on his – off camera – interactions with the veterans up on Operation Muskie. One of the most genuine expressions of gratitude I’ve seen a fishing “name” offer to someone else. Good guy, and he’s more than earned his success in a tough industry.

FryDog62

My wife was in labor with one of our kids and I turned on Gillespie. It almost led to an immediate divorce. LOL

When the baby crowned, did the doctor ask someone to get the Frabil?

CaptainMusky

When the baby crowned, did the doctor ask someone to get the Frabil?

No, but I am quite confident that it helped her labor speed up. LOL

Dan
    Southeast MN

OK So Trump, Biden, and John Gillespie; you have to marry one, kill one, and….never mind. jester

I used to be real annoyed by his persona but it’s grown on me. I do like that he travels for a new show every week. I also like how he’ll as the guides or experts he’s with questions like a complete novice and not talking like a big know-it-all; he’ll straight up ask what weight they’ve got, what something’s tipped with, how he cast it and how he retrieves it, etc. I’m sure he knows his stuff but he asks it in such a way that I feel like it helps a novice fisherman.

My biggest complaint is that a lot of the people in his boat are awful at fish handling. They’ll hold bass and crappies horizontally with a lip grip, and plenty of times I’ve seen some of them very lazily unhook and just softball toss a fish back in the water. They also seem to have plenty of long conversations while holding a fish out of the water and I’ve found myself saying out loud to the TV “ok, get the fish back in the water!” In the short term these things aren’t good for that specific fish, and in the long term other viewers could pick up those bad habits or not realize the harm it could do.

Overall he seems like a decent, regular guy with his own personality that’s not for everyone, but he’s got a ton of years in the books and puts on a decent show.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

His show is more entertaining then most others out there.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If I remember right I heard last year that he was pretty sick with cancer or some other serious illness. I would assume he has had his daughter on the show frequently to continue his show and possibly host it.

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

I watch his show on occasion. Like others, I can do without all of the yelling but do like that the info/location is recent. I do wonder if they are aware or not of the Johnson Pump “commercial” double entendre?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If I remember right I heard last year that he was pretty sick with cancer or some other serious illness.

Maybe that is why he lost so much weight? He used to be a big dude.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    If I remember right I heard last year that he was pretty sick with cancer or some other serious illness.

Maybe that is why he lost so much weight? He used to be a big dude.

Yes. I’m pretty sure it is. Haven’t heard a lot about it for awhile though.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You get what you get when you watch him. If that’s his real personality then at least he’s genuine on camera.

I’m not a huge fan but it’s amazing how often we quote him on the boat because of all his goofy catch phrases. So, I guess at least he’s a memorable personality.

milemark_714

If I remember right I heard last year that he was pretty sick with cancer or some other serious illness. I would assume he has had his daughter on the show frequently to continue his show and possibly host it.

He had a heart attack a few years ago,that would explain the weight loss.Maybe too many Johnsonvilles or PBRs in the past?They had me on camera for 10 seconds in the mid 90s,fishing Fox river DePere.Didn’t know it until a guy at work told me.Almost a repeat this past spring below Dam 6.Decided that day to go somewhere else,other wise I would have been at ground zero.I would have held up every fish and screamed SLOB!
    Pretty much a like it or hate it show.The guy can get obnoxious.

hnd

I basically have decided I enjoy john gillespie. the show is mostly fishing without a ton of stuff. now that stuff can be 1 of 2 things IMO. education or pitching stuff for sale.

IDO has a perfect amount of education, fishing, and sales to make the perfect fishing show IMO.

W&W has little to no education, a lot of fishing, and a tad more sales but its still isn’t ridiculously heavy handed.

Midwest Outdoors is basically a 30 minute commercial. totally worthless.

so on the IDO (10) to MWO (1) scale, john gillespie gets a 6.5 from me.

CaptainMusky

Midwest Outdoors is basically a 30 minute commercial. totally worthless.

I agree. I cannot even watch that show anymore. They are always at the same rotation of places and mainly fishing on charters which is of zero interest to me at all. That show with John Thelen isnt bad, but he does thump his advertisers pretty hard which is expected I guess. That show that used to be Butch Furtman Sportsman’s Journal, now done by a married couple is actually quite entertaining. Its pretty much just fishing, no real product pushing at all. Plus they fish mainly in areas I love to go. NW Ontario, etc.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Consumers are very smart and know when they are being pushed or “sold” a product. It’s tough balancing act on placing products in a show or social media post and not have that down your throat ad feeling, but still have it visible enough to generate interest.

But let’s be honest, the only reason these shows exist are because of the sponsorship dollars. So they have to plug them and it’s the ones that do it creatively that are the best shows.

Jonesy

I have met him a few times and he is a really nice guy. Heard him tell the in depth story about how he got into the fishing show business and it’s a great story. Guy took a big gamble on himself and it has paid off.

Yeah he can be cringe, yeah some of his guests are annoying, etc. But I can count on a new show from him every week. Don’t really learn much but it has become sort of a ritual for me and my 7 year old daughter to sit on the couch and watch him Saturday morning. I have sent a couple of pics of my kids and fish they have caught. Would be a dream come true for my daughter if she saw herself at the end of the show.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Have the same ritual of watching the show with my grandson. Started when he was 3. He is now 15. Met John Gillespie a couple times. One time after he had a full day on the water. I could tell he was tired but he still took the time to get a picture with my grandson and chat with us for a while. I very much appreciated that and my grandson was thrilled.

CaptainMusky

I have sent a couple of pics of my kids and fish they have caught. Would be a dream come true for my daughter if she saw herself at the end of the show.

My son won a few years ago with a 14″ crappie. It was a treat! Nice little gift package too!

bigv
    northeast SD

He’s probably a decent fella. I just can’t take his obnoxious personality. Never watch anymore. Another host I shy away from is Larry Smith. Has a decent show but he speaks so poorly. Count how many times he says “Ya know” in one episode.
    Or improperly uses “Them.” Them fish are really biting! Them tub o towels really work! Them lures sure catch fish! I know… I’m picky but if you’re a tv personality I’d hope your language was up to par.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I like John’s show mostly because my wife can’t stand it. Crank up the volume. Hide the remote and leave the room. If I’m lucky she will get mad enough to kick me out of the house for the rest of the day.

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.