Jiggin Rap/Shad Rap, Chubby Darters and blade baits

• tight-lines

I have had a good selection of sizes and colors in my box for a few years now. I have only come into contact with one walleye. I have read and watched about every video out there. So here is what I am thinking, let me know if I am crazy. I am not going to leave all live bait at the store and only use hard baits on the ice. I think this would force me learn to fish them without falling back on my old trusty spoon and minnow head. Let me know your thoughts.

side note- I fish blades and lipless cranks with great success during open water seasons.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Personally I start off big and bold, watch how the fish react, if nothing then change/downsize/finesse. Depending on reactions, change colors/styles a few times each before downgrading.

Loud baits aren’t always the answer, as is livebait isn’t always the answer, got to have on hand what they want that day.

Travdog

X2^
    I’ve often wondered if a spoon and minnow head is my best producing bait because I use it most often or is it truly a preferred and versatile presentation that just plain works.

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

I always start out big walleye fishing. Usually a #5 rippin rap.

After watching 2-3 fish come in and check it out, only to say “no thanks”, I will go to a spoon.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Are you seeing fish? I’m in your same boat…the walleye jigging through the ice is kicking my butt!

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

I’ve only gone out for them one weekend in SD, and yes we saw and caught some nice fish.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I have switched to a chubby darter and/or rippin rap when things slowed down before. A couple of times, the fish would still come in, but weren’t interested in either. So I switched back to a spoon & live bait & nailed a few. Other times, I had big perch hit both the CD & the RR. when they stopped, the spoons picked up a few more. I learned that sometimes……it pays to experiment!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Spoon and minnow head is effective. Why not just the spoon by itself? That is like fishing a hard lure with nothing to bait a fish. It’s now all on equal terms.

I’ve had on rare occasions where I’ve jigged lures without baiting at all and it produced. It does take more work and more attention to details.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I’m still with tight-lines on this one…I don’t know what the deal is, but be darned if I can jig in a walleye when targeting them specifically. I questions sometimes if I’m where they are, but beyond that my success rate is dismal. I like nhamm’s thoughts, I find the same tactics effective with other species; but when it comes to ‘eyes I keep getting shut out way too often.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.