jiggin raps/moonshines

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Up on Whitefish Chain on put the hurt on my
    buddy who was using live bait. Caught more
    and bigger walleye, pike, etc. But what shocked me is how many big bull sunfish I caught on big jiggin raps! Also, perch no bigger than the lure just nailed these things!!!!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

keep it on the DL Dave! every time i tell a buddy to try one they think its a joke. then the hits come along with the big eyeballs as they snap the baits. it is a reaction bite and many times in the fall especially, the eyes will try to pin baits against the bottom. you lift up and its dead weight. lots of “glide” baits on the market and all work even the cheap china ones.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

When the cosmos aligns…

Karry Kyllo

When the cosmos aligns…

Maybe the Cosmos aligns more often than you think. I’ve caught enough walleyes on Cabela’s or Scheel’s brand artificial baits to know that they don’t have to be name brand baits to catch walleyes(and yes, they’re mainly made in China).

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

What size were you using?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

5/8 oz for the jigging raps and smaller for the moonshines. The moonshines are nicer in the weeds without that front hook.

Either way, the sunnies just hammered these things!!!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jerad wrote:</div>

5/8 oz for the jigging raps and smaller for the moonshines. The moonshines are nicer in the weeds without that front hook.

Either way, the sunnies just hammered these things!!!

i cut that front hook off on some of my bigger jigging raps but i do catch a few on it through the ice so i keep it on my smaller ones.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Are jigging raps all that effective in lakes that turn real green from algae blooms? The water clarity is reduced significantly and I wonder if ripping jigging raps 3, 4 even 5 feet may be ineffective?

Ripjiggen

Many people use them or blade baits in the river when water clarity is sometimes a foot or less.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I still need to have that ah ha moment with these baits. I know they work watching the tournaments almost all those guys are doing it. Also not sure how my wrist would hold up, carpel tunnel starting to bother me.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I still need to have that ah ha moment with these baits. I know they work watching the tournaments almost all those guys are doing it. Also not sure how my wrist would hold up, carpel tunnel starting to bother me.

That is an issue, I alternate between using my wrist, arm, shoulder and long handled rod helped too.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i caught my first fish using jigging raps last year and ive been hooked ever since. its now one of my go to lures either in open water or on ice (im more confortable with them in open water though).

These lures used to sit in my tackle box for years never being used. Then one day after seeing it on TV and reading about it on forums over and over i tied one on and cast it over the boat. BAAAM nice 5 lb northern hit it within seconds. Then i casted it again and BAAM same thing! Thats one thing that always astonishes me about this lure is i have caught back to back fish on them more times than i can count. Super fun lure to fish with

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

What depth are you fishing these in? I’d have to guess its out in a little deeper water. Doesn’t seem like it would work real well in shallower water. I assume that you are fishing this almost vertical correct ?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I like them straight down to 45 degrees. I don’t fish ultra clear water tho, mainly Sippi water. Yes your arm will get sore.
    You will need a swivel or you will mess up your line.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I used to fish them on deep weedlines on gull, down to 30 ft, slow trolling. You need the bigger sizes to get down that deep to maintain bottom contact

Dave maze
    Isanti

I actually stopped using them because the repetitive movement hurt my elbow. They worked great tho.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

I used a snap rap one morning on our Canada trip a couple weeks ago. I caught fish nearly every other cast for a good while. Walleyes, pike and smallies.

It worked more as a darting glide bait and was very effective casting in shallow water (6ft to 12ft depths).

My next outing will be locally here in south-central MN and I plan to give it a good try. Plus I’ll be buying more of them and the jigging raps which I don’t have yet.

Figuring out the right cadence was important.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

What depth are you fishing these in? I’d have to guess its out in a little deeper water. Doesn’t seem like it would work real well in shallower water. I assume that you are fishing this almost vertical correct ?

I’ve used them successfully casting up shallow or fishing deep (30 ft). I dont fish them vertical in the boat. I cast them out and snap them back to the boat. I use the cadence I learned watching Tom Bolen.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Those of you that are successful with these, what sizes are you using and how are you determining what size? Depth of water? I have a variety of jigging raps and just picked up a couple of the larger hyper rattles, but they are pretty heavy. 1 once I believe. Haven’t given them a real honest try, but want to the rest of this year. Only caught a couple pike on em so far.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I think Jon J was a little shocked when I casted a small moonshine into 2’ of water on a rocky point and an 17”
    walleye smacked it

Size depends on depth, wind, speed, current, ext. I dont think the fish care, but there are times when conditions dictate going bigger or smaller.

For years, I never casted them. But sometimes getting away from the boat and chucking them at fish works better than vertical.

Also, I routinely have one ready when casting wing dams on the river. Sometimes a fish will follow your lure back to the boat and show up on the graph. Grabbing the jigging rap can get that fish to bite under the boat, its cool when that happens!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Joe,

Al Lindner has some good videos on YouTube as well as Boley

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.