James, Are you strictly using ATV’s now?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Or carry small chunk of pipe 2*4 etc and drop it in a hole. Has gotten me out of several sticky situations solo.

We always used to carry a chunk of 4×4 post. You can drill one hole, drop it down and turn it sideways under the ice, and winch out of just about anything. Even with just a relatively small piece of 4×4 I’ve seen it used to leverage out stuck trucks with a come along and tow strap. The trick was to use as much of the winch cable as you could to give you an angle that wasn’t pulling downward, but rather forward if you were legitimately buried. If just traction was the issue, a hole closer to the truck would generate downforce and traction to get you moving.

usmarine0352

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Or carry small chunk of pipe 2*4 etc and drop it in a hole. Has gotten me out of several sticky situations solo.

We always used to carry a chunk of 4×4 post. You can drill one hole, drop it down and turn it sideways under the ice, and winch out of just about anything. Even with just a relatively small piece of 4×4 I’ve seen it used to leverage out stuck trucks with a come along and tow strap. The trick was to use as much of the winch cable as you could to give you an angle that wasn’t pulling downward, but rather forward if you were legitimately buried. If just traction was the issue, a hole closer to the truck would generate downforce and traction to get you moving.

Saw at one of the shows a guy sells a thin piece of round metal bar and some rope in a nice kit for this.

Not super expensive and nice bc it doesn’t take up tons of space.

tim hurley

You had a perfectly good snowmobile, what did you do with it?
    (that comment was in honor of my dad grin )

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Just bought a Maasdam Rope ratchet with a 100 ft of low stretch rope . Hoping i will not have to use it LOL

usmarine0352

Just bought a Maasdam Rope ratchet with a 100 ft of low stretch rope . Hoping i will not have to use it LOL

But if you do it will be well worth the money. lol

Red Eye

Work we made several. Take a 3/4” piece of round stock. Put a point on one end. Bend a j hook out of it. Weld a eye on the other end.
    Snap the winch hook on drop it down a hole. Never get hands wet.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.