I've heard people doing this?

• Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Has anyone ever heard of apply small sheet metal screws on bottom of there boots to help slippage on ice? I’ve bought a couple cheap boot cleats which ended up breaking, losing and for a min I thought this would be a good idea (short min). What is a good quality ice cleats for a 13 inch lacrosse boot? I’m afraid of doing the sheet metal screws on an expensive boot

dld24

I like my yaktrax

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

Look into Kahtoola Microspikes. Spendy, but worth every penny IMO.

MICROspikes®

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yes, and you can also put them in you atv tires.
    The only thing is some establishments don’t appreciate it.

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

Ice-spikes. Had them for my running shoes for winter. Have to watch placement, they work well running on snow. ice. but I still use my slip on yak trax for ice fishing.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

Yes , I have done it . Didn’t ruin my boots . Didn’t loose their waterproofing , driving was not a pain. Definitely take boots off before entering the house , which I do anyway . I still hunt in them , not an issue , easily removed . Yes , ice cleats are a better option , but it will get you by if need be .

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Ice Trekkers for $25 from Amazon. I couldn’t believe the difference they made. I was a fool for venturing out on the ice last season — my first season of ice fishing — without them.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I like my yaktrax

x2! fourth year with them, they’re great.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have been happy with Kahtoola Microspikes.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

X3 on the Kahtoola’s and I’ve heard good things on the Yaktrax too. The Kahtoola’s are super easy to put on.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I like yaktracks. Had one pair for 5ish years. The traction is from horizontal springs instead of spikes so they don’t damage things you step on at the expense of being marginally less grippy on bare ice.

Kenneth Brant

Kahtoolas. Yea, spendy but how much is a broken arm from falling down going to cost you? Also tough fishing or drilling holes with one arm. Kenny

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

I’ve gotr getta grips but still looking for better. Had the yak trax and were great for running in the house and driving but didn’t like them after doing the splits once to often.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Kahtoola Micro Spikes for this guy..
    I have had both hips replaced and my left knee replaced…
    I couldn’t stand having a pair of spikes that fit awkwardly on my boots throwing off my balance.These spikes are worth the weight in gold for me !!

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Lots of great options out there. Back to the OP which is basically free. Yes I think they work pretty good. I have a pair of Irish Setter winter boots with super thick soles like most winter boots. Short sheet metal screws in about half of the lugs where my foot contacts the ice the most/first. I don’t care to drive with them on anyway and most the time I put them on at the lake as I’m sure stores don’t appreciate you walking in with them. They’ve been in those boots for 4 years. No leaks, have only lost a couple, I usually replace them every year so the edges are sharp and not worn down.

onepine
    Elk River

I use them in my Wolverine boots with Goretex . No problems so far. They do tend to come out and need to be replaced on occasion but a box of 50 go a long way and way cheaper than any of the other options. I do not drive in my boots and they come off at the font door so no problems there. I also use them for hunting and they work just fine. I usually do 5 per boot 3 where the sole contacts the ice while walking and 2 in the heel because it never fails if you do slip your heel will hit fist.

jfs62
    Southeast WI

Another vote for the Kahtoolas. Spendy, but work it.

ElFuegoOnIce

I’ve done it to my Rocky Blizzard Stalkers for years. Works good.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ve had kahtoolas several years, great hands down.

Where they outperform others is that they do not pack with snow.

My only complaint has been they are small on my size 16w boots… Now they make a bigger size….booyah!

I wouldn’t buy another brand on the market, today.

Oh, and they do stand behind their product.

It is flexible rubber… Don’t be a dummy and cut them with your auger, ice scoop, etc or melt them with your heater.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.