Its that time of the year – Best Sweet corn. Where are you finding it???

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

With the dry year, my guess is that there are going to be far less places to find quality sweet corn this year. Without any irrigation, there is about 0 chance of any good corn in my area. The last few years the best sweet corn I found was in Sartell out on Pinecone / 55th Ave out past the new high school and real near Upper Sports Deck Bar and Grill. Its a farmer who sells right in his yard. I probably will make a drive out that way to see if their signs are up yet. Last year their supply did not last long. I would hate to miss it this year. I think this post would be a excellent place for people to post where they are finding sweet corn and how good it is.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Lutheran Church on 47 just south of Malmo. Best I have had in a long time!

-J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

farmer girls stand In my town has some delicious sweet corn. We have bought from her multiple times now.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Janson’s Sweet Corn at DQ in Royalton, by the Church in Buckman, the Vets Club in Onamia, or I believe both Thielen’s stores have some. It’s consistently very good, but you pay for it. $9/dozen last year I believe. I’ve had other random stuff that was as good, but it’s always a coin flip. Sometimes you end up with stuff that is closer to field corn.

CaptainMusky

With the dry year, my guess is that there are going to be far less places to find quality sweet corn this year. Without any irrigation, there is about 0 chance of any good corn in my area. The last few years the best sweet corn I found was in Sartell out on Pinecone / 55th Ave out past the new high school and real near Upper Sports Deck Bar and Grill. Its a farmer who sells right in his yard. I probably will make a drive out that way to see if their signs are up yet. Last year their supply did not last long. I would hate to miss it this year. I think this post would be a excellent place for people to post where they are finding sweet corn and how good it is.

FT that is Traut’s farm and it is the best sweet corn I have ever had. I have had a lot of corn from all over including the place in Royalton people rave about or even the one South of St Cloud on 15 but its not even close. Made the first batch Sunday and it was amazing and the cobs are huge! Jon does a great job and he plants multiple variants that mature at different days so its always fresh. It goes quick though. He talked my ear off one day about 15 years ago when I was getting corn. He definitely knows his stuff. Works with the UofM and mans the tent at the state fair each year. Top notch people and better corn.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

There are 2 spots south of SC on 15. One between 94 and Luxemburg and one south of Luxemburg a few miles. The one south of Lux has been excellent in the past, but I haven’t been there for at least 5 years. I believe they do irrigate.

CaptainMusky

There are 2 spots south of SC on 15. One between 94 and Luxemburg and one south of Luxemburg a few miles. The one south of Lux has been excellent in the past, but I haven’t been there for at least 5 years. I believe they do irrigate.

Yeah I have had both of those places. The one south of luxemburg is better IMO.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Schiltgen just opened up around here but you pretty much need to live near it to be worthwhile. Its east of Woodbury. Spoke to one of the family and the drought is severely impacting them. I just picked up 6 ears and I have never seen such small corn. He said the taste is great but no size and they are losing areas of their fields. Cant wait to try it tonight!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just picked up a dozen from traut’s near upper deck in Sartell. I asked the farmer how long he would probably have it. He said he planed planning on sales for 3 weeks. He said at the pace of the first 2 days he’d be lucky to have any remaining for 2 weeks. He said he’s sold twice as much as much at this point than he had last year. There were 5 people there hen I was there. Another 3 coming down the driveway on my way out. The ears are huge and look really good. He said he planted 68, 70, and 75 day verity’s at different times. He said it all about evened up at this point. Here is a few pictures what it looks like. I’ll give a update on taste after I have some with pulled pork for dinner tonight

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1967-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_1966-scaled.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The first sweet corn of the season is always good. But this corn is incredible. The guy said it would be even better in about 3 days. That is hard to believe. Glad I only made 3 ears or I would have ate even more.

CaptainMusky

FT John puts in his work and that corn is indeed amazing. Glad you got some it doesn’t last long for sure! There are lots of people that buy 15 or 20 dozen for canning and that really messes things up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just picked up a dozen from traut’s near upper deck in Sartell. I asked the farmer how long he would probably have it. He said he planed planning on sales for 3 weeks. He said at the pace of the first 2 days he’d be lucky to have any remaining for 2 weeks. He said he’s sold twice as much as much at this point than he had last year. There were 5 people there hen I was there. Another 3 coming down the driveway on my way out. The ears are huge and look really good. He said he planted 68, 70, and 75 day verity’s at different times. He said it all about evened up at this point. Here is a few pictures what it looks like. I’ll give a update on taste after I have some with pulled pork for dinner tonight

My stunted corn looked nothing like yours and was not very good. I’ll go with my gut next time.

CaptainMusky

I’m telling you guys there isnt better sweet corn around while it lasts! I’ve eaten a ton of corn from all over the state and this guy less than a mile from my house grows the best. Not even close!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If you are looking for still a first of year “SA-WEET” corn, look for a smaller ear with smaller kernel. We had ours this past weekend, gun-d-bar!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you are looking for still a first of year “SA-WEET” corn, look for a smaller ear with smaller kernel. We had ours this past weekend, gun-d-bar!!

I hade heard that before. Last week I stopped at a roadside stand here in town. The corn was rather small eared and the kernels were also really small. I was Not lucky with that batch. It was poor to say the least. I should have trusted my instinct on that one and just skipped it. I’m not sure what the term gun-d-bar is, but in that case it should have meant don’t buy or eat it grin

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m telling you guys there isnt better sweet corn around while it lasts! I’ve eaten a ton of corn from all over the state and this guy less than a mile from my house grows the best. Not even close!

Like everything these days the price was up from what I remember it being last year. Between the quality of it, and the fact that I know this farmer donates a ton of it each year to local food shelves I don’t mind paying the higher cost for it. I will stop back out there in a few days for another batch. He said the batch in a few days will be even better than this batch. Its rather hard to believe it could get much better but I’ll take his word for it and get more then.

CaptainMusky

Yeah its weird, but we have been saying for years the first few days of the corn from him isnt as good, but this first batch I had was fantastic! The other Traut just South of him just put his sign up so people seeing John’s signs will now unknowingly stop at his place. That guy has decent corn, but not as good as John’s. He even has an all white variety at one point, but I think its terrible.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We all agree we are talking fresh sweet corn scale right? Where “not very good” still beats anything you could buy in a store off season and is in fact not bad eating? “Terrible” could still be better than canned? jester

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>

Yeah I have had both of those places. The one south of luxemburg is better IMO.

I was going to stop at the one south of Luxemburg on Sunday on my way home from the hunting land but didn’t. Now I kind of regret it but the Traut farm is closer to home so I may need to swing by there quickly.

JEREMY
    BP

The reason the first stuff is small and dont taste as good is because its a short season variety they plant just to be the first ones selling cause everyone is waiting for it. Just going from a 68 to say 74 day variety makes a huge difference.

JEREMY
    BP

The early stuff can usually be planted earlier also because it will germinate at a lower ground temp. So the 68 and 73 day stuff wont really be 5 days apart.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The reason the first stuff is small and dont taste as good is because its a short season variety they plant just to be the first ones selling cause everyone is waiting for it. Just going from a 68 to say 74 day variety makes a huge difference.

I was told the corn I purchased yesterday was the 68 day corn. No small ear or kernels on this batch. Both were rather large. I believe it was 73 day one he was talking about would be ready in a few days that he thought would be really good. He did say that even though he plants several different variety’s and a few days or weeks apart, that they often end up being ready much closer than they should. Just nature he said. It works at its own pace.

shefland
    Walker

those small roadside stands we see all over up here, walker, park rapids, and other places all come from Foley Mn. Fresh corn right now and good. Also Pikes corn out of park rapids, sell all over up here, fresh now, also very good

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well damn. You shlod have told me when I was out there Saturday

CaptainMusky

Dangit didnt even think of it! Sorry. I did recommend hot wings at Howies though LOL

toothyfish

I got some from the stand in Cabin Fever’s parking lot that was very good. I think it was Klingelhutz Farm, might not be spelling that correctly but something like that.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Sorry it did not work for you. When I see great looking large ears I’ll go for the smaller ones. That should have read goon-de-bar

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Dangit didnt even think of it! Sorry. I did recommend hot wings at Howies though LOL

In St. Stephen or Waite Park?

CaptainMusky

In St. Stephen or Waite Park?

St Stephen. Its near my house so I like to go there. The other one is in St Cloud by where the Taco Johns blew up like 24 or so years ago. The one thing in St Stephen is they only do hot wings for bone in, but in St Cloud you can get other flavors which I think is odd. It is a much larger establishment there though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.