Its starting to get into that fall bite.

The water temps still are a little warm for this year but the length of day and some cooler nights on the way will help. I still have been pulling crankbaits in deeper water 12-18 feet during the day especially these sunny days along some of the rocky points and mid lake reefs with good success. I have started to find some more active fish shallow casting husky jerks and shadow raps into the shallows right during the lowlight periods and finding keepers too. Some of the guests are starting to catch them dragging a jig and minnow along windswept areas as well but I think that bite is still a week away. Perch have been very active in the shallow bays in the area with some very nice ones hitting the fish cleaning buckets in the cleaning area. This is my favorite time of year for fishing for them, I caught most of my perch slip bobbering with a small 1/32 oz jig and half a nightcrawler the other day. You have to sort them but its good action.

For the hunters in the area: Duck numbers look good, with lots of mallards, wood ducks and teal in the area especially the wild rice bays. As long as we do not get any super cold days it should be a great opener. I know I cannot wait to get out into the boat and get some ducks. It looks like it will be another great year for duck hunting. I have been hitting the woods as well for some grouse but have not had any success yet, the dog has flushed a couple but the leaves are still to thick to get good action yet.

Hopefully everyone can get up here and do a cast and blast weekend. The fishing is picking up and the weather has been great. Good luck to everyone on the water this weekend and hope to see you out there.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.