Its no TUCR but it looks pretty

• scmelik
    South Dakota

I finished this rod up a few months ago but I think I forgot to post it. This build was a concept design, I had nothing in my rod line up that was a good hole hoping rod that could handle the small size of a 4mm or 5mm tungsten jig. I took a 32″ Sportmans Direct extreme taper carbon blank and chucked it in my drill lathe and sanded down the tip to make it more of a light action fast tip. The idea was to give the tip just a slight preload when a previously mentioned tungsten was tied on. Then because it was being built as a hole hopping rod I wanted it longer than 32″ so I found a old beat up rod I had laying around and cut about 10″ off of it and epoxied it to this blank to extend the blank to a full 36″. With the added weight of the long blank I wanted to cut as much weight as I could so I went with a split grip design wit a PacBay Minima reel seat. Even though it is perfectly balanced the way I like my ice rods (just an every so slight weigh forward balance) the slip is about a half an inch to far apart a correction I will be making in my next hole hopper. Of course I can’t leave things well enough alone so I painted the blank white and added the basic thread work. I had just a few pieces of that EVA laying around (wish I could get a lot more of it because its awesome) and having been trying to figure out what the heck I was ever going to do with it. Threw on a few recoils because I had them laying around and this is what I ended up with. It may not be a TUCR but she sure is pretty. I haven’t gotten much of a chance to fish it yet having been gone for a month for work and having a truck that is dead but hopefully starting next week I will be able to get it out a few times and see how she fishes on some hungry perch.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Looks great. Really like the handle.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Looks great. Really like the handle.

thanks Frenchman. I wasn’t sure how I would like it when I built it, i’ve never used that type of reel seat before. I have an open water jigging rod that I have been working on for the past year that I used the same seat on and I thought I liked the feel of it in the shop so I figured what the heck. Like I said I think the entire reel seat section could come back about 1/2″ on the next one but overall I am pretty happy with it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Appreciate the work on the wraps. Nice work

scmelik
    South Dakota

Appreciate the work on the wraps. Nice work

thanks Randy. They were quite a bit more intense than I expected them to be. I have done some very complicated decorative wraps and some even more involved multi layer weaves and those little fades drove me crazy trying to get them spaced right and even.

curleytail

That’s some wild threadwork! Safe to say I’ll never build anything that artistic. Nice looking rod.

scmelik
    South Dakota

That’s some wild threadwork! Safe to say I’ll never build anything that artistic. Nice looking rod.

not a whole lot to it really. More of a logistic thing trying to figure out how many turns to get things so that it was all even. The decorative wrap at the front was literally thrown on with zero through process. I didn’t measure anything out just eyeballed my layout thread and then did a 4:1 fade. If I can do it anyone can do it.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Very cool. Custom designs are great keep up the good work man.
    You will end up building more.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Very cool. Custom designs are great keep up the good work man.
    You will end up building more.

Thanks John, definietly not the first one i have build and it for sure won’t be the last. I only have about 15 more plans in the works right now need some rods I can fish out of my shack, all I have right at the moment are 32s and 36s, time to build a bunch of 28s. its gonna be a busy summer in the shop for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.