It is Spring on the Mississippi River! 2020

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tow to transit Lake Pepin, opening up the head of navigation on the Mississippi

ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Motor Vessel Miss Doris, originating from the Quad Cities in Iowa and Illinois and pushing 12 barges en route to St. Paul, Minnesota, is expected to transit Lake Pepin, later today or early tomorrow.

Located between the Minnesota cities of Red Wing and Wabasha, Lake Pepin on the Mississippi River is the last major barrier for vessels reaching the head of the navigation channel in St. Paul, Minnesota. The lake is the last part of the river to break up, because the river is wider and subsequently the current is slower there than it is at other reaches of the river. If a tow can make it through Lake Pepin, it can make it all the way to St. Paul.

The Corps would also like to remind boaters to “share the road.” Commercial towboats with barges are less maneuverable and take longer to stop than recreation boats. They also cannot move out of the main channel of the river. Before getting underway boaters should consider:

· Taking a safe boating course

· Wearing a life jacket at all times

· Leaving alcohol behind to reduce risk

· Checking the forecast

· Filing a float plan with a friend or family member

The St. Paul District maintains a 9-foot navigation channel and operates 12 locks and dams to support navigation from Minneapolis to Guttenberg, Iowa. Keeping this system open is vital to the nation’s economy. The commercial navigation industry estimates an annual average savings of nearly $270 million by using the inland waterways instead of overland shipping methods.

Deleted

Always a good sign of ending this miserable cold weather.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

That it is yay

We almost needed ocean gear for the carp. He was tired after that one smash

Attachments:
    1. 25A98FE4-FA2A-4DBB-AB46-F214ED145053.jpeg

2. FC93A383-B140-41F5-9BF2-E1E30A74AAD2.jpeg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Pepin is open

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200318-193059_MarineTraffic.jpg

shockers
    Rochester

Does this mean the tuna boats will be launching soon?

Sad!

Heh.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Are the other ramps all open at Baypoint and Colville?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I haven’t been over there. But thinking I will now that gas is $1.58 in Red Wing. I’ll post when I know something…(LOL! That might be a while!)

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Colville should be by now. I was down 3 days ago and just some skim ice near the launch. more towards to docks to the right. the rain yesterday had to of taken care of it. the smaller landing as you come in is good to go. baypoint looked a week or so out, probably ice free by next weekend?

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Colville should be by now. I was down 3 days ago and just some skim ice near the launch. more towards to docks to the right. the rain yesterday had to of taken care of it. the smaller landing as you come in is good to go. baypoint looked a week or so out, probably ice free by next weekend?

thank you

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t make it to Bay Point but Colville had a small amount of rigs parked. Dock isn’t in but ample open parking. The back channel was crowded around noon.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I didn’t make it to Bay Point but Colville had a small amount of rigs parked. Dock isn’t in but ample open parking. The back channel was crowded around noon.

Bay Point was still frozen yesterday.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.