It is about that time…???

• John Luebker

It is about that time and now I start asking myself what type of broadhead do i want to tip my arrow with.

I know the mechanical types have a lot of good and bad reviews, the fixed blades might be hard to get “tuned”. Each year I seem to play this game. I don’t shoot at a lot of deer so when I do I want to make sure if i do my job it will do its job as well.

I know the answer buy some and start shooting them, but dang that can get expensive. (we need a broad head exchange program to be able to try a bunch of different ones – maybe a different topic)

Basically I haven’t been able to sell myself on the mechanical ones, The bad reviews (i believe) are probably poor shot placement but those reviews tend to stick with me and I want to have the most confidence I can get when I am sitting in the tree.

So what have you guys spent your money on?

I have read some reviews and am thinking i might try Wac’Em Three-Blade Broad head?

I shoot a Mathews mission maniac at 70 lbs (if that matters in regards to feedback)

Hoyt4
    NULL

If you have had good luck with one I would not change anything. Not sure unless you are having trouble with sighting in or wounding deer why people change all the time.

If you want a good fixed blade you will have to shoot a few to make sure you can sight in. For fixed blade I use Rocket ultimate steel. Expandle the same use rocket I’ve used these since they started in MN. I’m not going to change unless they stop being made or something fails for me but I have not had bad luck with any of the Rockets. Now shot placement will be another story or just bad shooting.

Muzzy, Slick trick many good heads to choose from.

dbright
    Cambridge

I just started bow hunting last year and had tough time deciding what to shoot. I ended up going with G5 montes and had no issues with them out to 40 yards. That was as far as i shot them though. They put my first archery deer on the ground.

404 ERROR
    MN

I am 100% sold on Rage 2 blades. They are tested and proven by thousands of hunters for many many years. I recently upgraded to the Rage 2 blade chisel tips and I love them.

Some guys on a big archery forum say the Chisel tips get less penetration over the original when hit in the shoulder blade, but you will be hard pressed to find many broadheads that penetrate very far in the shoulder blade…

locolocal

Dead Ringer Rampage 100gr…solid.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I use Muzzy fixed broadheads, because they work and I haven’t seen the need to change. However I am considering changing the weight. I shoot 150 grains, but think I might want to go to 125 or 100 grain. You guys have any thoughts on that?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I use mechanical ones and have for many years. Rocket hammerheads. The only reason I would change is if they quit making them. I could show you videos of my blood trail that Ray Charles could follow. These broadheads have never failed me, even on marginal shot placement…not that I have ever had that whistling

sktrwx2200

Rage Extreme 100gr. Blood everywhere. Flies exactly like my field tips. Devastating to say the least. 2.3″ cutting Diameter.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I haven’d had any issues with the rage 2 blades. In fact, I really like them. The only time they will be outperformed is if you hit hard bone, a smaller fixed blade will have a better chance at penetration. If you miss a little bit in the other direction (liver) I would take a large cutting diameter broadhead any day of the week, so it’s a little bit of a tradeoff. At the end of the day if it’s a well placed shot it really doesn’t matter, which is why I like the mechanical heads because they shoot the same as a field point.

John Luebker

Thanks for your feedback – I will do a little more research and have to make up my mind here

deertracker

I have killed approximately 15 deer with a 100 grain NAP Spitfire 3 blade. None have gone over 100 yards and most have been less than 75. I’ve never had one break and most could have been reused if sharpened again.
    DT

John Luebker

Well i purchased some Wasp drone 100 grains today. I will give them a try. I was close to buying the ST grizztrick2’s… I will report back if i get a chance to use them -)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.