Isaac's First Deer

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Had a great hunt on Saturday morning with my son Isaac. We got out to the stand pretty early and bumped a deer in the dark. Frustrating to say the least but it happens. Morning broke, and then sunrise, with still no action, which was surprising given how calm it was. Everything except the turkeys wer quiet, who were shock-gobbling at the sound of nearby gunshots.

It actually happened pretty fast. We did some light rattling, and had a deer respond but wouldn’t come closer than just getting a glimpse of him, maybe 50 yards. He crossed downwind then, lost him for a few minutes, and popped up again in an opening and was crossing our only shooting window pretty quick. I had to bleat at him to get him to stop, and had told Isaac to shoot pretty soon after that happened, which he did. Quicker than he liked actually, and I don’t think he had a really good bead on him. Shot was about 60 yds, he kind of lurched forward, trotted a few steps, then I heard it crash. I made him wait 30 minutes before we went looking for it, but I was pretty sure he crushed it. Found blood right away and the deer only went 30 yards. He was pretty excited then but is playing cool about it now!

Joel

Attachments:
    1. deer2015-0114_rs.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Congrats Isaac!!! and you too Joel. Lifetime of memories created there waytogo Isaac’s quick reaction is a result of good mentoring toast

mr-special
    MPLS

kudos to u both,
    thx u for sharing the great and great pic applause

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Excellent job both Isaac and dad. That is a great looking 1st deer. Hopefully just the 1st on many to come.

Carl Hanson

Awesome looking first deer! He is know hooked for a lifetime!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Crazy looking smirk on that deer’s face! rotflol

Congrats!

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Way cool! Congrats to you both! Great photo too

Hoyt4
    NULL

Congrats way to Isaac

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

This is awesome Joel… And that’s a heck of a first deer for Isaac! This gets me even more excited for all of the firsts that I’ll get experience again with my boys in the near future!

And the last sentence sums it up perfectly… It describes exactly how I (and probably most of us) would have been at that age too. Great work dad!

He was pretty excited then but is playing cool about it now!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.