Is the border open on rainy lake

• bruce anderson

With all this virus stuff going on does anybody know if the border closing also is in affect on rainy lake for boats?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As I understand it you can launch on Rainy on the US side. You can’t cross the bridge into Canada.

Timmy

If the border is closed, it’s a Canada/US deal for the length of the border. I don’t think they take special consideration on fisherman?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I read the question as can he launch on the US side, which would be yes. Can he fish on the US side? Again Yes. Can he cross to Canadian waters from US waters? I wouldn’t want to answer that without some research. I THINK the answer would be yes with the proper license / permits from Canada and if he didn’t touch Canadian soil. But, again I wouldn’t want to say that without research.

Timmy

I see your point. I took the press release at face value: “ The two countries shut the 5500 mile border down for non essential travel.” I saw no mention of water based recreation being exempt.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Trust me, there will be boats on that lake as soon as the ice goes out.

Timmy

I won’t argue that point!!!!

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

$10,000.00 fine for crossing into Canada on Rainy or other border water. Plus they just moved there open date out another 30 days. Doesn’t look good for spring fishing. I’m scheduled for May 28th for a week not even sure Thunderbird will be open. Did get my Canada license but have not received my border pass.
    This year one must be flexible to even hope to go fishing.

Ripjiggen

Wayne do you have a link to the info or where we can read the info. I kind of figured that was the case but never saw anything official.

blackbay
    mn

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#_Canada-U.S._border_restrictions_1

A snippet from the above web page reads:
    Canada-U.S. border restrictions
    As of March 21, 2020, there is a 30-day restriction on all non-essential travel at the Canada-U.S. border. Examples of non-essential travel include:

tourism
    recreation
    entertainment

Even if you could get into Canada to fish, good luck getting back. Even during normal times US Border Patrol and Customs makes getting back home tough. I have to believe that anyone crossing by water now would be met with less than compassionate feds.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

My friend from I’Falls said the same as Wayne. He did not mention the $10,000 fine. I’m guessing if Canada does not open up for June fishing, there will be a lot of folks fishing Rainy. I know if my trip Lac Seul is cancelled in early June, my next stop is Rainy.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Don’t have link. Guide friend told me about the fine, he is very tuned into what is legal. It looks like a tough year for professional guides this year. Also feel sorry for new owners of Thunderbird, first full season and hit with closures.

Wayne

bruce anderson

Thanks for the insight. there are still alot of spots on the US side.just might have to get used to haveing more than one boat at one spot. We were going up june 20th weekend to camp in voyagers. so hope that doesnt get shut down. good luck to all this summer.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Yes, US side has good spots but in spring hard to beat Canadian side.

For me it is a very different year, aside from this virus crap.

Due to being 75 and finding out I had some heart issues last fall I sold my lake home and boat to move back to Green Bay and better medical care. So for first time in 40 years I will be fishing in guide boat. It will be different but easier on my body. I’m still undecided if I should show him my spots. 😉

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Due to being 75 and finding out I had some heart issues last fall I sold my lake home and boat to move back to Green Bay and better medical care. So for first time in 40 years I will be fishing in guide boat. It will be different but easier on my body. I’m still undecided if I should show him my spots. 😉

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

bigpike

Could you repeat that waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wayne you can send me your US spots, I only get up there once a year and that way you know they will be put to good use. waytogo rotflol

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Sorry, my computer was stopping me from doing a edit and I guess I somehow reposted. I have a HP tablet and hate windows 10 it constantly acts up and is always trying to update whenever I try to use it.
    Wayne

Nate Witte

Not sure if this is a good place to post this question? I have searched for it online and can’t find an answer.
    I’ve been fishing Voyager for quite a few years now and have never bothered to get a Canadian license. Figured there’s plenty of water to fish on the US side. According to my navionics when traveling through the narrows or through the channel down to kettle falls occasionally you might slip into Canada? My real question is…is there a little bit of an easement involved with that more for the fishing side of it. By that I mean there are some sunken islands and whatnot I would like to fish on rainy that seem to be right on the border. It seems that Google maps and my navionics can differ by about 100 ft on exactly where the border is. If I was to fish those reefs could I potentially get in trouble if someone was to come and say hey you’re over the border by 100 ft or so? I looked everywhere for some clarification on this and even thought about calling the border patrol but figured somebody here would be able to help. Thanks Nate.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I personally wouldn’t take the chance with everything going on right now.
    It’ll be up to the border patrol agent to make that call on the spot.
    If he/ she decides you’re illegally fishing in Canada your vacation will be over…..
    Like you said, there’s lots of fish on the U. S side.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

” I looked everywhere for some clarification on this and even thought about calling the border patrol but figured somebody here would be able to help. Thanks Nate.”
    So you’d trust a stranger on an internet forum rather than the border patrol? That’s funny! grin
    Personally, I’d err on the side of caution. A $10,000 fine, even in Canadian money, isn’t in my budget. It’s only fishing, there are lots of reefs on the U.S. side to fish.

Nate Witte

Well that’s why I asked. I wasn’t sure if there was some kind of a easement or something else that I wasn’t aware of. Exactly why I haven’t fished there. However how can you be certain your GPS is accurate and according to two different maps I use the border is in a slightly different position and moreover what did guys do before GPS or people who don’t have it yet.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

No a easement won’t be in the vocabulary of the Border Patrol. Also not in their vocabulary is the excuse “my GPS shows I’m still in the states.” That will get you a ticket quicker then calling the Queen fat.

Fish where you belong. As you and others have said there is plenty of water. They won’t mess with you if you are traveling along the border and dip a few feet over the line but if you stop to fish you are asking for it.

Nate Witte

Good enough answer for me. Don’t get the wrong idea I’m not trying to work the system. I figured people on here had a lot more experience fishing the lake and maybe you’re allowed a certain amount of footage or something like that… I didn’t know that’s why I asked thanks for the replies I’ll stick to the South shore ;)

I am still curious how they worked that out before GPS

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I am still curious how they worked that out before GPS

Maybe prior to the gps, think of it in general,,,
    Iffiness, The border patrol stopped you and and asked, “If you fell in the water, which way you would swim to the safety of the shore?” Ya, better know which side was the USA and it better be the closer side! Just my opinion!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Nate,
    I’m up on Namakan right now sitting in camp. Yes you can cross the border when motoring up to Kettle, I do it every time, no worries. You cannot fish/anchor or stop on shore tho. That’s a big ticket.
    Rainy is not the place to be pushing the limit when it comes to the border tho. There are OPP boats, Ontario MNR warden boats, and border patrol. Before GPS they used the official lake survey maps that had the border marked on them (I’ve got the full set of 5 that go from Rainier to Kettle). I’m pretty sure I can think of the 3/4 reefs your thinking about on the East end of Rainy, in today’s world I know I won’t be taking a chance and fishing them when I’m up there in a couple weeks.
    Oh, and just for info, there are a lot of places up here where your comfortably in US waters, but the Canadian Shore is way closer to swim to )

Nate Witte

Funny I stayed up there at Torry fish camp around this time last year. Just to the east of there is the border and it runs through a tiny island and straight down a long tapering point that I’ve done really well on… of course just on the west side of it;) Good luck.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.