Is it worth to troll this fall?

• micah-witham
    Richfield

Heading up to a cabin I have access to on the west side and I haven’t heard any chatter AT ALL about trolling this fall.
    I’m taking some time to be alone and away from work and the grind, but curious if people have thoughts about the annual trolling that ensues about this time every year. Feel free to PM if you don’t want to post about it. I’m a CPR guy so don’t plan to take any fish, just looking for a couple of whacks on the trolling rods.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

There really is no telling how good or bad the bite is going to be this year. Given the current status of the lake, you can probably bet that it will not be as good as it was 2-4 years ago.

However, I will say that my dad spent a couple hours trolling shallow after dark this past weekend and caught a few fish. Considering his lack of effort, he seemed pretty encourage with his results.

We have a big cooldown on the way. The next 2-3 weeks should be pretty telling. I know that we are planning to be up there 2 weekends from now. If things aren’t going well, we are going to pull the plug and hit the river instead.

-Drew

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Absolutely… I think we all know why the lack of chatter this year, but I’m actually expecting good trolling bite this Fall. Typically the trolling bite starts to get good when water temps dip below 60 degrees and the warm temps at the end of last week kicked the temps back up into the mid-60’s. With the cold front that came through on Monday and 10 day forecast the night trolling bite should be just starting to shape up.

Will

micah-witham
    Richfield

Thx for the info guys. I figure since I’m going to be there for two nights there’s no sense in NOT giving it a go on that west side. The cabin is located on the point just north of Wigwam bay so I’ve got access to St. Albans, Shaboshkong, Indian point and if I wanted to that north Garrison break and Myr Mar so some pretty good trolling water. If anyone’s looking for an open seat let me know and I may have a spot.

lancew

Based on what I’ve been hearing, “no”.
    They’ve really driven that lake into the ground, and it will be years before it comes back.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Based on what I’ve been hearing, “no”.
    They’ve really driven that lake into the ground, and it will be years before it comes back.

Depends on what are your goals. If you’re looking to catch a limit of walleyes for dinner you’re spot on for this Fall. If you want a chance at a Trophy your odds are higher this year than in years past… There are loads of baitfish in the lake right now and the fish are fat and healthy.

As for the overall state of the lake, in addition to the baitfish there are also a TON of small walleyes being caught now due to excellent spawning success the past two years. It will be back much sooner than you think.

andy bice
    NULL

Do the eyes move shallow this time of yr? We talking 8-12 or deeper? Thx!

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Do the eyes move shallow this time of yr? We talking 8-12 or deeper? Thx!

They do move shallow. I would focus on either rocks or weeds. If you can find both in a close vicinity, it is usually a gold mine. I am not sure what the water temps are right now, but you should fish in 4-12 fow if you are fishing towards or after dark.

-Drew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.