Is it time yet?

• youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I’m finding it harder and harder not to think about the upcoming season. Won’t be long. I got my calls out the other day and did a little practicing. Pre-season scouting starts next month!

Hoyt4
    NULL

I’m with you i’m trying to fish and keep my mind occupied but that is not working. Just went through my calls and supplys have an order going to Midwest Turkey supply next week.

Maybe we will have snow maybe not I cannot wait till the season starts. My first hunt will be first week of April heading to NE. Come back for a week then to SD .
    Mn I’m hoping for season B.
    Then head to WI for one weekend season C. My last hunt will be season E in WI for a week with a couple tags in the pocket.

Best time of year is the spring time.

Either NE will look like this

Snow sure does not slow things down I really don’t mind it.

I really can’t wait to see this out in front of me

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nice pics!! I too am starting to strut around the house a bit. I’ll get an order place for some new diaphragm calls this week or next for sure.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I wish we still hard turkeys by me in WI bawling bawling bawling

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Gotta love turkeys in the snow!!! Getting a little antsy myself for the upcoming spring hunt.

Attachments:
    1. Turkey-card-063.jpg

2. Turkey-card-067.jpg

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Coworker saw a bird strutting with a big flock yesterday… he’s got the right attitude!

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I’m going for the very first time this year and pretty darn excited. Drew a tag for the 1st season. Can’t wait!!

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Oh man you’re in for a treat. Turkey hunting is one of my favorite things. The woods is just coming alive and its great to be out there. Plus its really exciting to have a big thunder chicken come strutting right in

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Saw some strutters this morning on the way to work… warm weather has them thinking about the ladies!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I am thinking that with this warm streak this week, I might even see a turkey up here along the road this week!!!

Mark

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Getting pretty darn excited!! Saw some big boys strutting around this morning in the field I will be hunting next month. Can’t come soon enough. yay

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I’ve been seeing them all week too. Might go out for a listen this weekend. Youth season starts April 4th… 2 weeks from today. Hoping my son wants to shoot this year but not going to push him. We’ve been watching Cabelas Spring Thunder in anticipation!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

With the WI Youth Season in full swing, it was time to peek around some corners to see if there were any birds trying to get gussied up for the spring mating season… Still been pretty quiet in the Northwoods, but there is no real surprise there. Sat. a.m. with time to goof around, I stopped by a couple of places that I see them and got lucky enough to see a hen in one spot and then at the other spot get cut off by a tom @ my second spot. That got me excited for this week’s opener!!!

Then with all the wind yesterday, I let the birds have time on their own and lo and behold this a.m. on my way back up to work, I come around the corner and there are three strutters!!! Now I have seen birds in this area in years past, but never really tried to hunt in the area. So I have to find out if they are adjacent to public land or on all private… Hoping for the former, and them to hang in the area for just a little while longer!!!

Mark

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Only 2 more days guys! Been seeing some big ones around my area. My 14 yo went out for the youth hunt and missed 2 different Toms. One Saturday morning and one Sunday morning. Went out again yesterday afternoon and we saw 4 more Toms and just couldn’t get them close enough. Now it’s my turn and then he has the second season. Go get em boys!

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

We just bought a house so I’ve been tied up with that so far this month and will be until the end of April. The cool thing with the new place is there was a bird gobbling his head off right off my deck last night as he went to roost. Probably less than 200 yds away where he roosted.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Only have to sit through this hour, change clothes and head tot he woods for the rest of the day… Hopefully those three are that far away from where I saw them two days ago!!! Good Luck to the rest of ya hunting this period!!!

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Well I was off to hunt THE SPOT!!! Walking down the lane the 170 yards to the setup, one turkey scurried around a corner… What to do… as the Clash would say, “should I stay or should I go!!!”

Well I stayed and I shoulda gone!!! But that’s ok I saw 4 Toms two days before that, the single biggest concentration of Toms I had seen so far this spring. In the Northwoods, they will travel and come back around, hopefully they’ll be back tonight and in for a date with a g5 montec!!! Be getting ready here in a bit!!!

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Got in a bit late last night… Good sign, turkey tracks over my boot tracks, so I know they are still using the area!!! Bad sign, no turkeys back in… Going to try tonight again, leave blind up on public land, go in early tomorrow and see if they’re morning birds, if not, got word of some birds working a more southerly location closer to home now that the work week is over…

Mark

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

The answer to this post is finally ‘YES’ for me. After buying a new house, completely redoing a bunch of stuff and then moving in the last month, I had no time to hunt. However, we’re all moved and ready to go now so… this weekend its game on. Seems like the birds are in that tough stage where they aren’t as visible and aren’t as vocal, constantly henned up etc… but we’ll make the best of it. My son is also pumped about hunting this year… which after last year I wasn’t sure if he would be. But he’s jacked nonetheless so we’ll be after his first bird starting Friday night.

Looks like mushroom season is going to be coming into primetime too so thats perfect. Nothing better than grilled fresh turkey breast smothered in fresh picked mushrooms and asparagus… oh geez I’m drooling now.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

The answer to this post is finally ‘YES’ for me. After buying a new house, completely redoing a bunch of stuff and then moving in the last month, I had no time to hunt. However, we’re all moved and ready to go now so… this weekend its game on. Seems like the birds are in that tough stage where they aren’t as visible and aren’t as vocal, constantly henned up etc… but we’ll make the best of it. My son is also pumped about hunting this year… which after last year I wasn’t sure if he would be. But he’s jacked nonetheless so we’ll be after his first bird starting Friday night.

Looks like mushroom season is going to be coming into primetime too so thats perfect. Nothing better than grilled fresh turkey breast smothered in fresh picked mushrooms and asparagus… oh geez I’m drooling now.

Yikes – turkeys, asparagus, and mushrooms….that’s the spring slam as far as I’m concerned!

Joel

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Finally got a bird down. Took some doing as there seem to be about 6 hens for every gobbler this year. This ol boy came strutting in early and down he went. Got a few morels in the fridge so now I just need to rustle up some asparagus and we’re all set for dinner!

22lbs, 1 1/8″ spur (other was broken off), 11 & 5″ beards

Attachments:
    1. 20150510_055643.jpg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.