Iowa Teal Season

• youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Anyone get out? We did both Sat and Sun. Pretty fun. We were saved by the front that came through on Thursday night. Lots of new birds both mornings whipping around in flocks of 20-50 like fighter jets. Really tested the metal not to be able to shoot until sunrise but it sure was fun to watch the show. Had 7 species of ducks in the decoys by sunrise. Jumped them without shooting so they could come back better. I shot my 6 teal in 22 minutes, 9 shots. Sunday was a little tougher. There were enough birds but no one at the big public area hunting them. Normally I would love that but with teal and mild calm weather… they just sit down and don’t fly after sunup. I went for a little walk around and shot a couple. We had a few decoy so I ended up with 4 when we left for church. Almost all blue-wings but did have 2 green-wings. We were checked by the CO on Saturday morning… he said everyone there was minding their P’s and Q’s. He hadn’t seen any non-teal shot and everyone waited until sunrise to shoot. Hopefully others across the state did the same so this season can continue!

BTW plucked all the birds… nice and fat. Cooked a bunch up on Saturday night on the grill, then put on an apricot-bourbon glaze. Good eating!!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Nice work!! Here in MN we have to wait 2 more weeks for a teal dinner (

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.