Ion X 10"

• Bigwalleye30
    MN

Anyone have much experience with either or original Ion or Ion X with a 10″ hole? And has anyone come across places they just sell that combo? I saw one place has them but its password protected and I got no response when asking for the password from them. I really think Ion is missing the boat not offering a 10″ package as a lot of people (that prefer 10″ holes) would be buying these for in their wheels houses.

JoeMX1825
    MN

small customer base is why they don’t offer a boxed 10″, they would need to have a separate boxing/shipping run to do it, too costly…this is the reason you see 8″ bits for sale on c-list…perm house owners who then purchased the 10″ bit separately and have no need for the 8″ bit…You could check to see if small outfit sellers would be willing to sell a new auger with a 10″ bit at a reduced price..

McCord Stowater

That was my biggest gripe when I was in the market for an auger when I got my wheelhouse. I emailed Ion about this and asked if they would be willing to swap out a 10″ blade for an 8″ combo for the price difference and increase in shipping. They were unwilling to do so, so I took my money elsewhere.

I don’t believe that there isn’t enough interest in a 10″ Ion combo. Electric is the perfect drill for wheelhouses as there is no exhaust. Most wheelhouse owners I know, including myself, prefer a 10″ hole in their shack. Heck, even before I had my wheelhouse I preferred 10″ holes (not needed but personal preference).

I honestly believe the reasoning as to why they don’t sell a 10″ combo is because the electric motor and system isn’t built to drive a 10″ bit. A 10″ bit has a lot more ice to remove than an 8″ bit (50sq in vs 79sq in) and that requires much more amperage which could lead to premature failure if the motor and electrical system was not designed for such a load. I also asked Ion about this concern of mine and their only reply was quote “The 10″ will not be sold with the powerhead. The 10″ is an accessory only and does have to be purchased separately”. To me, that sounds a little fishy…

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Completely agree with you McCord and it seems fishy to me as well. I emailed them a month ago and they came back saying the market wasn’t big enough to offer that combo and would not sell one to me directly that way. Tried to give them some money…

IMO there is a huge market for 10″ augers otherwise why else would every other manufacturer make all their augers with a 10″ combo and why did Strikemaster come out with the Lithium 10″ this year? And if there isn’t a market for 10″ augers, why would they then offer it as an accessory?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I agree it’s dumb, but it’s not because of any issues otherwise they wouldn’t even sell a 10″ bit…in terms of Ion directly selling a 10″ bit to customers, do they even do that? or must you buy everything through a retailer? If they do sell direct, then I have no idea why they wouldn’t sell you an auger with just a 10″ bit, that makes zero sense…

McCord Stowater

I agree it’s dumb, but it’s not because of any issues otherwise they wouldn’t even sell a 10″ bit…

Not necessarily – I do believe that the 10″ has to potential to cause damage and premature failure of some of the electrical components and battery due to the higher torque/current. The biggest reason that I believe they wont sell any 10″ combo is due to the limited warranty. Since the 10″ bit is an “accessory” they can probably deny any warranty claim because it isn’t the original bit.

in terms of Ion directly selling a 10″ bit to customers, do they even do that? or must you buy everything through a retailer? If they do sell direct, then I have no idea why they wouldn’t sell you an auger with just a 10″ bit, that makes zero sense…

They do sell directly from their website so I would take it that one doesn’t have to buy from a retailer. Maybe they have a contracted retailer who fulfills these orders. For $800 (Ion combo plus 10″ accessory) I can buy nearly 2 Eskimo HC40s – no brainer for me. Funny part is that Ardisam has both Eskimo and Ion so they get my money either way…

kroger3
    blaine mn

I have the standard ION with reverse and have a 8 and 10″ drill. 2 season ago I used the 10″ in my skid shack so I could fish for a couple days and not have to re-drill due to hole shrinking to much. Last year I just used the 8″ and re-drilled them when needed.

10″ worked fine but I would not want to do more then maybe half dozen holes because it is a bit of a work out. I still use my 10″ off and on but less and less each season.

404 ERROR
    MN

If you are looking for a 10″ Ion assembly, I would call Red Rock Store in Ely. They are very accommodating and they might be willing to sell the combo, and even ship it to you very reasonable.

lou droessler
    pdc

There is a video one you tube about a review of a guy that uses a 10 inch auger bit with the ion. Looks like it works good

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.