Inline reels for walleye

• Nighthawk25

I’m trying to eliminate line twist from my jigging spoon while walleye fishing. I currently have a crane swivel 3’ above my jigging spoon but my spoon still spins. I was wondering if anyone has had luck with an inline reel for walleye. This will be for inland lake walleyes with a target size of 15-24”. 4-12’ Fow. Thanks.

Aboxy17

First of all your ice fishing walleye in 4-12 fow?! I catch walleye all the time in 12 but no shallower than that. It would for sure cut down on line twist if you did it. I have heard of some people doing it. For panfish, it plays a big deal but I find the walleyes are usually aggressive enough that they don’t care. I would be interested to see what the difference is on those days when I am getting a lot of walleye coming in and not biting.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I’m getting a Piscifun ICX Frost for walleyes. Not sure if I’ll put it on a med or ml. Drag should be good at 12 lbs and I don’t think the slower speed 2.7/1 vs 5.2/1 should be a big deal. I like the line release trigger and the Carbon I got last year is really smooth.

Nighthawk25

Yeah I get them coming to and cruising the flats were the perch are hanging out. I’m not as concerned with the spinning when they are biting aggressively. I’m just trying to get the neutral to negative fish I mark to commit.

Nighthawk25

I ordered a frost last night. Gonna test it out soon all the specs look like it should work.

Nodakk

I used one for a few outings 2 ice seasons ago for walleyes. It worked okay but there were times fishing in deeper water then you are talking about that I needed to reel in line faster to keep tension on the fish.

Also I did not really like not hearing the drag clicking sound. Probably because I’m used to it but it still messed with me a little bit.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m trying to eliminate line twist from my jigging spoon while walleye fishing. I currently have a crane swivel 3’ above my jigging spoon but my spoon still spins. I was wondering if anyone has had luck with an inline reel for walleye. This will be for inland lake walleyes with a target size of 15-24”. 4-12’ Fow. Thanks.

Our eyes this weekend came from 6 to 8 ft of water

Nighthawk25

I used one for a few outings 2 ice seasons ago for walleyes. It worked okay but there were times fishing in deeper water then you are talking about that I needed to reel in line faster to keep tension on the fish.

Also I did not really like not hearing the drag clicking sound. Probably because I’m used to it but it still messed with me a little bit.

Did you have a higher gear ratio reel? Piscifun offers a 2.7:1 and 3.2:1 ratio inline reel now.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have used them a few times for eyes usually if I have to go super small for presentation and just end up using one of my crappie rods to pull it off. Works fine and will reduce some line twist. I have none of the problems guys talk about with inline reels. Agree with Nodak on the no drag noise but get used to it. Also wonder what you meant about needing to reel faster as most if not all inlines take line faster than any spinning reel.

CaptainMusky

I have 4 piscifun reels, 3 are the ICX Carbon and they are fantastic. I dont notice any line twist, but I also have a spro barrel swivel which is a much higher quality swivel than most.

Charles

I just a swivel still.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I should have known that. I have that reel. That on an ACC Crappiestix hauled in a 25″ Pike on 3 lb line. No problem.

grpubl7
    Central WI

Just ordered 2 of these…the price was right.

CaptainMusky

Just ordered 2 of these…the price was right.

Those are a fine reel but be advised they do not have magnetic spool control. This was the first one I bought. I was able to figure out a system to control the drop by palming the spool. Its a super smooth reel and the drag is smooth and strong too. Just watch out the first time you drop a lure down since it doesnt have spool control.

grpubl7
    Central WI

Roger that. They arrived and are just as you say. Going to use these for panfish and use the larger models for game fish.

CaptainMusky

They will be fantastic for panfish!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.