Inflatable life jacket

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am looking at getting an inflatable life jacket for this year. I was wondering what everyone else has and why they went with that one?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Same thing. Thanks for posting after you text me. I was going to make the same post

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Brand = Mustang (MIT 100)

Why = Because that is what most guys wear on “Deadliest Catch”.

-J.

mojo

I’ll be following for info also.
    I don’t want to be that guy who’s last thought is “I wish I wouldn’t have went with the cheapest option”.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Brand = Mustang (MIT 100)

Why = Because that is what most guys wear on “Deadliest Catch”.

-J.

They are reasonably priced as well. That was one I had looked at.

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

A bit spendy at ~$200 but I went with the NRS Otto Matik and it has been great so far — I kept my NRS Chinook and still use it when conditions or weather are really insane but go with the inflatable now 99% of the time.

I chose the auto-inflate model simply because if I get thrown off my kayak in a current and hit my head on a tree or a rock I want that thing to inflate immediately without me having to worry about it.

B-man

Mustang HIT is “the best,” but they’re spendy. They have a hydrostatic valve that can’t be set off by rain or a damp compartment.

I have an MD3183, it doesn’t have a pad on the back, which is nice not to have in hot weather.

I’d love to know how many thousands of hours I’ve worn it lol

Whatever you get, I’d stay with a name brand like Mustang, Onyx, or Cabela’s/BP. They’ll be the easiest to find parts to re-arm.

Also look for an automatic/manual, not just a manual (which doesn’t inflate if you’re knocked unconscious)

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Onyx – lightweight, cheaper, offered in 2 float weights (one for big guys).

Mustang – heavier/bulkier (than Onyx), built sturdier (last longer??), cost more.

I went with the Onyx – fish small lakes (100-800 acres), don’t fish often.
    If I fished a lot or big water (Mille Lacs, Superior) I would get the Mustang.

Gregg Gunter

Cabelas 33, I tested it and it worked great. It needed a new canister anyway. Only buy on sale with a coupon.

Gitchi Gummi

Have had an onyx for a few years now. Nothing but good things to say about it.

I’ve also tested it once by jumping in the water with it when the co2 and bobbin was due for replacement. Definitely recommend people doing this at least once so you know that 1) it works and 2) you get familiar with reloading it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Cabelas 33, I tested it and it worked great. It needed a new canister anyway. Only buy on sale with a coupon.

Same, I have not tested mine.

Mike Burke

I would suggest you try them on first. I tried the Mustang on and wore it around the store for a while and it was uncomfortable. Hit my neck in a bad place. Tried the Onyx on and it was very comfortable. I can wear it all day and now problems.
    Try them on first .

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Got two Sheels brand.They were on sale.I am still alive so they must be working.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ll say I don’t care for them. Spent $200 on a nice one and had it auto inflate while stored in the boat. Plus they require maintenance.

You can get nice life jackets with the mesh tops and neoprene around the neck just as comfortable. My two cents

Henpecked

Have had an Onyx A-33 for a couple years now and have not tested it, but very comfortable to wear all day. Biggest problem is I forget to disconnect the kill switch before moving around.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I’ll say I don’t care for them. Spent $200 on a nice one and had it auto inflate while stored in the boat. Plus they require maintenance.

You can get nice life jackets with the mesh tops and neoprene around the neck just as comfortable. My two cents

I will second this. I had one go off in a compartment in my boat because I towed it through rain and didn’t have the cover on. Spent $37 for the re-arming kit and had the cylinder puncture while trying to re-arm it. The cylinder flew across the room and put a nice dent in my wall.
    I read all the instructions from Mustang but I just COULD NOT get it to rotate the 1/8 turn required to lock it in so I was forced to put some downward pressure and BOOM. Off she went. Scared the absolute hell out of me.
    I quite literally walked it all out to the trash can and ordered a foam one. The new kayaking ones are pretty minimalist compared to the cheap / old ones.

CO2 meet wall

Gregg Gunter

They have to be stored in dry environment. Lots of them self inflate in a damp locker. I buckle mine to my seat when I’m done.

Gitchi Gummi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

I would suggest you try them on first. I tried the Mustang on and wore it around the store for a while and it was uncomfortable. Hit my neck in a bad place. Tried the Onyx on and it was very comfortable. I can wear it all day and now problems.
    Try them on first .

Totally agree that comfort is very important. I wear my onyx in the bwca and it’s very comfortable to paddle with all day and it’s comfortable to wear under a pack while you portage. Doesn’t get caught on anything and you don’t even know it’s there while paddling not portaging.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregg Gunter wrote:</div>

Same, I have not tested mine.

Mine is the Bass Pro version, but the same thing. I wear it early and late season or on big water if Im alone. once its on, I really forget its on until I get back to the launch

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have the hi-end mustang and like it. I like it as it was the most comfortable one I tried on and I know if it wasn’t something I could almost forget I had on, I wouldn’t use it.

Just changed out the auto inflate thing…. It was a little tricky but once I put some readers on And. Oils really see what I was doing, was quick… I won’t say painless as they are a little spendy, but…

I need a standard good kayak vest if I can find one…. Odds of me getting wet are high enough I won’t wear the mustang for that.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I have a Cabelas brand pre BP, I don’t store it in my boat. Got my son a Scheels one for Christmas. Like others have said, very comfortable. Cheap insurance

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.