In the gutter…..

• Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Women say men always have their minds in the gutter. Let me just say that affter a ffew experiences at social gatherings with ffriends and acquaintances last summer and the last ffew weeks training a group of women that want to try their hhand at being maintenance mechanics, I am fairly certain they are always there, in the gutter, as well. I have been left speechless several ttimes, tttoday alone, by some of their comments. Comments I have never heard from the countless male mechanics over the years seem to be running rampant today! They even have me stststuttering when I ttttype apparrrently!

Sharon
    SE Metro

I immediately know I’m in good company when I’m with women who can share a gnarly sense of humor, inappropriate “that’s what she said” comments, and throw in a couple of swear words for good measure. Indeed, they are hard to find even as friends. I seem to scare away most of them who expect me to “act like a lady”. I’m no #%$@ lady, I’m Sharon! chased

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

I immediately know I’m in good company when I’m with women who can share a gnarly sense of humor, inappropriate “that’s what she said” comments, and throw in a couple of swear words for good measure. Indeed, they are hard to find even as friends. I seem to scare away most of them who expect me to “act like a lady”. I’m no #%$@ lady, I’m Sharon! chased

….And you even hunt an fish.!! Can You PLEASE Send Me Your Phone #.! Lol.! Your Hubby is a LUCKY MAN.!! rrr

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I am not sure which of the dozens of comments really pushed me over the edge. It may have been the”like a hotdog in a hallway” comment while measuring a shaft that needed to fit a bore. shock

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I am not sure which of the dozens of comments really pushed me over the edge. It may have been the”like a hotdog in a hallway” comment while measuring a shaft that needed to fit a bore. shock

Attachments:
    1. 3386a2c53b125d36ed8e920e87c36c4dd76df1e3c1891debefe52575f8011cb1_1.jpg

MNdrifter

It’s all fun and games until your sitting in HR’s office explaining the situation, and it’s your word against theirs. Makes me nervous when females are around my crew. I’ve seen 2 good guys get fired because of an evil temptress. One almost cost him his marriage. They played along with her in the lead, rite into a trap. Bad deal for sure, be careful Art, it’s best just to keep it professional. Just my .02.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I always try to keep it professional for sure, even when it is just a bunch of guys. Picking my words carefully and keeping my mouth shut when things head back to the gutter. Times certainly are changing.

Sharon
    SE Metro

….And you even hunt an fish.!! Can You PLEASE Send Me Your Phone #.! Lol.! Your Hubby is a LUCKY MAN.!! rrr

Aww shucks. Yes he is lucky, and so am I. I’m sure it’s not easy being married to a spunky redhead. yay

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m sure it’s not easy being married to a spunky redhead. yay

Billy’s a saint! tongue

glenn57
    cold spring mn

It’s all fun and games until your sitting in HR’s office explaining the situation, and it’s your word against theirs. Makes me nervous when females are around my crew. I’ve seen 2 good guys get fired because of an evil temptress. One almost cost him his marriage. They played along with her in the lead, rite into a trap. Bad deal for sure, be careful Art, it’s best just to keep it professional. Just my .02.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!! as a union rep I deal with this a lot. don’t get messed up in it. it may not even be between the 2 having the conversation. someone sitting 2 tables down can hear that conversation and complain. shop talk isn’t what it use to be!!!

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

Yep,
    The instant you play along, your job is in their hands. Not a wise move. Everyone might be having fun today, but when someone decides they’re mad because you took their parking spot, that “fun” conversation will be brought up to HR using a different paradigm. Truth won’t matter, perception will and there is nothing you can do about it.

Having supervised in an industry that wanted to change its demographics, this is essentially what leadership told us “managers”.

Keep it professional, i.e. boring, ’till you know who your dealing with is what I always told my people. Both genders

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.