In-Depth Outdoors TV, Season 10 Episode 1 – Trolling for Fall Muskies

• Nick Cox
    Minnesota

In-Depth Outdoors host James Holst and pro staffer Pat McSharry head to Sioux Narrows Ontario in search of late fall muskies.

See ya next week!

JoeMX1825
    MN

great episode! love that you can re-watch online a few days later as my 2 year old wasn’t cooperating at 8:00am Saturday morning…

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Hey JoeMX1825 Glad to hear you like the episode! Just a reminder our episodes air Sunday mornings, so hopefully you didnt sleep in past it )

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sorry I mean Sunday morning…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

James, I think that was the most excited I’ve seen you on camera (2nd fish) I’m pretty sure that topped your Erie Walleye.

Great Show, really enjoyed it and picked up a couple things. The Bay of Green Bay offers the same opportunities around the reefs in late fall. I’m not a hard core trolling guy, but it does produce some magnificent fish each year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Any chance you’ll try for Muskie through the ice this year? Keyes did it a few years ago, really cool to watch..

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Any chance you’ll try for Muskie through the ice this year? Keyes did it a few years ago, really cool to watch..

In Minnesota, Muskie season ends on December 1st, so there may not be time for them? However, I’m not sure what other states/provinces have for a Muskie season though?

JoeMX1825
    MN

yep, i’m not sure where Keyes filmed it (WI/Canada?) but it was an awesome episode. They actually watched the fish take the bait through the tip up hole and then fought them by hand…could get a great pancam setup to remotely monitor the holes…

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Great show, congrats! Can I ask what kind of rod holders you were using. I’ve worried about snapping elevated rod holders, I noticed yours would give to the back after fish would bite. Mostly a walleye guy but dabble with skis and I have never seen a holder like that.👍

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Thank you for once again producing a wonderful show and showing us that as long as we as fisherman can be versitle and do a little adapting – we can catch fish no matter how the weather is during the so called season.

AND yes to what @p4walleye asked about the rod holders. I was wondering about them to. Been thinking on trying those monster dual rod holders.
    Awesome Job Guys !!!
    James W

ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

Great Show! Thanks for posting as I forgot to record on the new sat box. My fishing pal also uses the technique that produced the third fish:)
    EJ

Jonny Anderson
    Morris,MN

Ditto on Great Show!! Can’t wait to see what is ahead. I was also curious about the rod holders.Specifically the fact that they swiveled back when you guys had a fish. Also what type of track system do you use?
    Jonny

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! It would be interesting to try for muskies in the winter, I know they have success doing that on Clear Lake in Iowa with the year round season. I have never tried it myself!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Great show, congrats! Can I ask what kind of rod holders you were using. I’ve worried about snapping elevated rod holders, I noticed yours would give to the back after fish would bite. Mostly a walleye guy but dabble with skis and I have never seen a holder like that.👍

The rod holders are Scotty with an extension handle. If the extension handle is NOT pushed far enough down into the base they will spin. I am not sure if this was done by design or not, but with any height extension on any rod holder you could have them set up to move when either a fish hits or a rock. The rod holder does have a pin like/key feature that will securely keep the rod holder in the base preventing the rod and rod holder from falling into the lake, but allow it to swivel or move when a fish hits.

Stickman12

If that last fish is a ‘mid-40″‘ fish then the first fish is maybe upper 30s. C’mon James! Put it on the judge and lets keep it honest out there!

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Some of my favorite shows you guys have done are the ones where you show the set up or technique that you are doing and how it can be applied to any body of water and so forth. The little tricks of the trade tips by far are awesome.

The one show you did that stuck in my mind like an old barn was the one well where the lake was high and the barn was almost in your drifting path…. I dont think I will ever forget that shot of the barn.. rofl……..

Just keep doing what you do and it will be better then best.
    Enjoy and be safe
    James W

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Great show. Brought back lots of memories from my early Muskie fishing at Spruce Island in the 70’s.
    I also see you picked up Seafome as a sponser. Great catch.

fygr8

Great show! Kinda favor the muskie stuff!

Attachments:
    1. DSC_00541.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If that last fish is a ‘mid-40″‘ fish then the first fish is maybe upper 30s. C’mon James! Put it on the judge and lets keep it honest out there!

All fish were measured. Just because you don’t see it in the finished edit doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. We shoot approximately 6 to 8 hours of foottage for every show we put out. Nobody has any reason to inflate lengths. They’re just fish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I wouldn’t recommend those Scotty extensions for muskie applications. They’re basically trashed after a single muskie outing…the plastic shafts are permanently twisted and the teeth that lock into the base are all chewed to heck.

I’ll be buying some new holders for muskie fishing next summer made of metal. The holders used in the show have been good for walleye applications but those big cranks and big fish were more than they could handle.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Thanks, appreciate the intell. I think you are right, for that presentation, the only way to be able to trust your rod and drag would be with metal, because you need tight drag to get the hooks in, and correct rod to keep em buttoned.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

I wouldn’t recommend those Scotty extensions for muskie applications. They’re basically trashed after a single muskie outing…the plastic shafts are permanently twisted and the teeth that lock into the base are all chewed to heck.

I’ll be buying some new holders for muskie fishing next summer made of metal. The holders used in the show have been good for walleye applications but those big cranks and big fish were more than they could handle.

Just a thought here. Have you ever tried the monster rod holders? They are really stout and made for those 40 to 60 pluss pound blue cats. I know Steve has created several designs with one that is a dual or both up and down rod position and also do have rail mount kits as well.

I am thinking about trying them myself.
    Let us know what you find to work best.
    James W

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Just a thought here. Have you ever tried the monster rod holders? They are really stout and made for those 40 to 60 pluss pound blue cats. I know Steve has created several designs with one that is a dual or both up and down rod position and also do have rail mount kits as well.

I am thinking about trying them myself.
    Let us know what you find to work best.
    James W

Hi James – no, I’ve not tried those. I’m leaning towards these >>> http://shop.traxstech.com/Aluminum-Adjustable-Rod-Holder-RRH-230.htm

All metal. Lots of adjustment angles. They should be bullet-proof.

Attachments:
    1. traxtech.jpg

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.