Impressions of Lund Pro V Bass XS at Mpls Sport Show

• FryDog62

A test ride is always better but this time of year, best you can do is a walk around. That being said I was very interested in what I saw of the new Lund Pro V Bass XS at the Mpls Boat Show. IMO it did not disappoint.

Great layout for the multi-species fisherman, solid boat, proven Pro V hull, well matched motors, etc. Stripped down base show price with a Mercury 150 4 stroke is: $32,384.

First the motor selection. Okay, I’ve never been a Mercury guy and I should add I’ll never be an Opti/Pro XS owner, but word was if you want an ultra-fast boat go with the 200 hp. A couple comments from the Lund folks was that the 200 might be a bit overkill once broken in, pushing low-mid 60’s. Most people would probably be very happy with the 150 4 stroke that comes out on the Dyno at 178 hp and still does well into the 50’s mph range. Plenty good enough for this non-tournament fisherman.

I like best the boat’s rod organization. I’m a multi-species guy so I pick up and lay down a half dozen rods throughout the day. Going in and out of a rod locker all day is a pain for me. This does have a center locker which I think is more convenient than a side tank, but the layout is conducive to strapping down multiple rods on the deck for easy/quick access (ala true bass boat). Front deck is long enough to get 7-8 foot rods down each side, and the guy in the rear has the port side to get 3 rods strapped in place and ready to go.

This is the XS or “Northern Style” with pedestal seats versus the 3 person bench seat like a traditional bass boat. Have to admit the pedestals are quite short though, not like the tall pedestals in the traditional Pro V. This is a multi-species rig, but could you jig for walleyes all day from a pedestal like this? I’d say yes it would work for the occasional walleye fisherman, but not for a regular. You can get away with it much more than any traditional bass boat, but meat hunters (especially taller guys) probably wouldn’t want this as a primary boat. Still the Pro V hull should track/troll as well as most aluminum boats.

I do like the flip up seats in the back, saves cockpit room over two more pedestal seats. I personally would take the passenger pedestal seat out for most of the fishing I do and just use the flip ups for passengers if on several shorter stops up the channel or from bay to bay. A long drive on LOTW… Yeah, absolutely stick with the pedestal arrangement.

One nit, the passenger pedestal seat is fixed to the floor. I’d want to move it in and out for flexibility on cockpit space so that’s a problem for me. The Lund rep and I decided we’d both change the fixed pedestal to a snap out version after market.

Can’t believe the storage in this boat. Blows any bass boat out of the water and is on par with just about any aluminum boat option. I was envisioning doing away with my magnum sized Cabelas tackle bag with eight 3700 tackles trays. They go right into one of the bow storage areas, freeing up more cockpit space. There are 2 large storage areas on the back deck for your partners tackle bag/boxes and rain gear/boat bag. Also the port side has an easy access storage area for a fold up net, and there is an integrated small cooler inside the step to the front deck. You can tell I like a picked up floor/deck space without a lot of clutter laying around… This boat allows you to do this really well.

It might sound like I’m sold and ready to buy one. Answer is still “maybe.” A couple things, I’m always hesitant to buy a first year model of anything, even though the basic Pro V hull and Mercury 150 4 stroke are proven…still I’d like to hear from guys that will actually fish from it and see if Lund tweaks anything for year 2 or 3. Second, I’m hesitant to go back to tin after having glass for my last 2 boats. How does it handle rougher seas? I need a test ride.

Ideally I would test this boat out against fiberglass options. The only 2 real options I see that would compare with the Lund is either the Tuffy X-190 or the Recon 985. Unfortunately neither of these boats are ever at a Minneapolis area boat show and I don’t know anyone/dealer locally that has them to see or test drive. On paper they compare well anyway IMO. Sorry Skeeter fans, been out in the 1825 MX twice and its a multi-species option but a non-starter for me.

I’m most likely a year away from buying but will keep watching the boards for feeback on the Lund. Who knows maybe order new next year, or look for a year old demo depending on price, motor option, electronics, etc.

Over and out,
    -Captain FryDog

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nice report! Great fun looking the boats over and finding what works best for you. Sounds like your list is getting mighty short also! grin

FryDog62

Nice report! Great fun looking the boats over and finding what works best for you. Sounds like your list is getting mighty short also! grin

You buy the 20′ tiller and I’ll pick up Pro V Bass and let’s head to that pike infested bay this spring!!

Iowaboy1

t might sound like I’m sold and ready to buy one. Answer is still “maybe.” A couple things, I’m always hesitant to buy a first year model of anything, even though the basic Pro V hull and Mercury 150 4 stroke are proven…still I’d like to hear from guys that will actually fish from it and see if Lund tweaks anything for year 2 or 3. Second, I’m hesitant to go back to tin after having glass for my last 2 boats. How does it handle rougher seas? I need a test ride.

I agree with the hesitation part,like they say about airplanes,never fly one that has an ( X ) in the N number,or still has paint on the rudder pedals!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

You buy the 20′ tiller and I’ll pick up Pro V Bass and let’s head to that pike infested bay this spring!!

I did my part. wink

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>frydog62 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

You buy the 20′ tiller and I’ll pick up Pro V Bass and let’s head to that pike/” rel=”nofollow”><em class=”ido-tag-em”>pike infested bay this spring!!

I did my part. wink

Ok, drum roll…. What did you buy ?!?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I did my part. wink
    [/quote]

I was talking with David Anderson (owner of Warrior) today, he’s putting together a V2090 BT w/a 250hp G2 tiller. Is that yours?

HRG

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I ended up going Skeeter. It will get the job done without breaking the bank.(as bad)

I had test driven a Skeeter a few years ago and was very happy with the way it handled with the little 115 Yamaha. The added cost of going to a 150 hp and the Merc. power steering just turned me off.

HRG I’m a lottery win away from a Warrior and a mental breakdown away from a G2. doah

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I ended up going Skeeter. It will get the job done without breaking the bank.(as bad)

I had test driven a Skeeter a few years ago and was very happy with the way it handled with the little 115 Yamaha. The added cost of going to a 150 hp and the Merc. power steering just turned me off.

HRG I’m a lottery win away from a Warrior and a mental breakdown away from a G2. doah

Congrats on the new ride. HRG

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thank you.

FryDog62

Thank you.[/quote

Nice job, I don’t think you would have ever been happy without going 20 foot tiller at some point. Now you’re there with a good boat and another Yamaha to boot. You won’t look back now —

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m still up for chasing those Pike this spring!

FryDog62

You’ll have an awesome rig for that trip. To fund it if your selling open seats let me know ;)

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I always have a open seat. Unfortunately that seat is usually on the Ash River Trail. grin Anybody is welcome anytime.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

If i remember right, years ago, Lund had a bass boat. I don’t think it sold real well and wasn’t around too long.

FryDog62

I think Lund learned from the older version, plus from the Predator experience and have a much better platform this time. Sounds like they really got input from some credible pros and guides this time round. Will see now if it sells —

partlycloudy
    NULL

Nice walk thru on the boat. Any Chicagoland guys want to see one Waterwerks in Country Club Hills has a northern edition with a 200 Verado. Sweet machine.

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

I was really, really close to ordering one of these last week, but I held off. Part of it was due to my dealer not wanting to take my 2013 Tuffy X-170 in on trade. That kind of surprised me but I could sell it with relative ease if I needed to. The biggest hesitation came because I just haven’t seen any on-the-water reviews yet outside of some of the pros that have done their videos. I want to be able to test drive one before I pull the trigger, especially with a new model like this. I don’t fish huge water, except for the occasional Chequamegon Bay trip. I will likely be waiting until Fall now to potentially test drive one and see what changes they make for 2016.

Not sure if the dealer was trying to fleece me or not (I didn’t bother negotiating anything since I decided to hold off anyways), but here is the price that I was quoted for it in case anyone is interested.

Priced out prov bass with 200 verado
    bunk trailer
    Spare tire
    Guides
    Bike seat
    Cover
    Bluetooth stereo
    Ss prop
    3 bank charger
    Water ready 37399 cash price

Add for talon 12 1999
    Helix 10 1499
    fortrex 1299
    Total before tax 42446

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.