IDO Show Keeps Setting the Bar Higher

• Mike Petersen

C’mon guys, throwing out a “Frank the Tank” reference on top of filling the boat with beautiful walleyes? Give the other shows a fighting chance, will ya? Ha, great show today

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Can anyone chime in, when casting jigs on the Rainy or other rivers, how much time do you spend snags or donating jigs? Everytime I do it (Miss) it seems like every third cast (slight exaggeration), but on the shows, it gets edited out. I keep waiting to see someone in the background bouncing his rod on a stick.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Speaking about the rainy, some stretches of river you’ll never donate one jig. Much of the river below Birchdale is sand and light gravel. A few trees and branches here and there but most places are nothing to worry about.

In general it’s all about matching your plastic, jig head weight and line diameter to the current and depth. Don’t let that thing drag and roll.

I was up 4/12-4/14 and lost probably 5 jigs. But I was fishing a notorious area for sunken wood. Landed over 225 walleyes and at least 50 over 26″. It doesn’t take a genius to catch fish up there but the comment about slower shallower water was key to finding the females.

Oh and I fished the mn side only and never touched a minnow.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Don’t mean to steal the thread here but is it anything like this in June or what tactics are used that time of year? Never been up to that body of water.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t mean to steal the thread here but is it anything like this in June or what tactics are used that time of year? Never been up to that body of water.

I personally don’t know but I’ve read other forums that claim it gets much more realistic after the spawn an into summer. More of a low light morning and evening bite too. People usually fish smallies during the day and walleyes in the eve. Sounds like heavier current areas with eddys and current breaks are most effective.

404 ERROR
    MN

Just when I thought I would never toss a pack of Catalpa plastics in my boat…Sales trickery, I tell ya!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just when I thought I would never toss a pack of Catalpa plastics in my boat…Sales trickery, I tell ya!

Funny, I did the same. Glad to hear Black/White tail has returned!

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Most of the fish return to Lake of the Woods post spawn, so that is where most people target them in June. I don’t know if anything matches the spring run, but great fishing can be had all 4 seasons up there. A lot of fish stay in the river too, which often goes overlooked outside of spring/fall.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Great show, new format is a winner. Best fishing show for sure. Spot on the spot is a great way to give expert advice. Love the way you put it on the large screen TV. Picking up my new boat Tuesday with a Helex 12 on the consul but maybe I should just put a 32″ flat screen some where. To bad they aren’t waterproof.

404 ERROR
    MN

Picking up my new boat Tuesday with a Helex 12 on the consul but maybe I should just put a 32″ flat screen some where. To bad they aren’t waterproof.

SkyVue 32″ 1080P Outdoor TV

Ask and you shall receive. I do not think they offer a gimbal bracket for this screen, however. You may need to get creative.

jester

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.