IDO crew

• blackbay

I don’t think Rapala owns or is affiliate with them anymore. Marcum isn’t on the website that I can find.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

It’s all about the Benjamin’s…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It’s all about the Benjamin’s…

Tell me everything you actually know about it. Or are you ok with assuming?

If you really want to know…I’ll tell you, as I’ve told many others, 100% straight.

Changing partnerships is always a decision that requires careful thought and doing it solely for the money is a surefire way to burn bridges in what is a tiny industry. The truth is I sought out a relationship with Humminbird based solely on the advantages in technology they had to offer. Money had nothing to do with it.

Wildlifeguy

Kinda a random question on that topic, Mr. Holst. Do you think it could ever be the situation that folks like you could be sponsored by multiple tech companies? It seems as if the trend of late is for anglers to get EVERYTHING, regardless of brand loyalty, because individual systems have their varying strengths and weaknesses, and even though it’s a niche market, it’s one that is willing to put up dollars to gain an edge. I know pro anglers usually have multiple systems on board when they’re competing, maybe you can convince Garmin, Lowrance et al. there’s value in using everything on the market. What’s a few extra pounds in the sled after all… lol

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Kinda a random question on that topic, Mr. Holst. Do you think it could ever be the situation that folks like you could be sponsored by multiple tech companies? It seems as if the trend of late is for anglers to get EVERYTHING, regardless of brand loyalty, because individual systems have their varying strengths and weaknesses, and even though it’s a niche market, it’s one that is willing to put up dollars to gain an edge. I know pro anglers usually have multiple systems on board when they’re competing, maybe you can convince Garmin, Lowrance et al. there’s value in using everything on the market. What’s a few extra pounds in the sled after all… lol

In a perfect world, absent ego and insecurities, maybe. But we don’t live in a perfect world. As soon as one partner felt like the other was getting a little more it would all fall apart. If you’ve ever seen two labs fighting over a wool sock…that’s how I envision it turning out.

Wildlifeguy

Yeah, I suppose so. Just seems like a unique sort of market, and one where any exposure, even if its not exclusive would be beneficial. Then again, it ain’t my dollars to spend after all…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

doing it solely for the money is a surefire way to burn bridges in what is a tiny industry

James, I don’t think this could have been said any better! It’s too bad that more business owners don’t realize this in the short term.

I’ve spent a lot of years in-industry on the wholesale side. In a short amount of time you realize how few people are in the industry and how frequent your paths cross. People don’t forget either. As people change from one company to another, they bring with them their memories and perceptions of other people. The impact that has is huge.

As for the $$$$$, I hate to even think about how difficult it has become to retain sponsors. I’m not talking about the little “pro staff” joke of a deal getting 20% off of list price on products. But true sponsors that pay well for product exposure, development, and growth. The “next generation “ is cutting everyone’s throat in the industry and manufactures know it. The explosion of people that want to be YouTube and social media stars are doing it for free trying to get noticed. (Or for next to nothing) Manufactures are not totally stupid when it comes to spending money.

To maintain good relationships and have an opportunity for good paying sponsorships, you need loyalty on both sides. If you get a reputation for just being a money whore, your done. Changing sponsors can be risky and needs to be done in a very professional manor. You never know when Mr x at an old company becomes the Marketing Director with the new company you hitched your wagon to

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Does IDO ever have a garage sale?

blackbay

Changing partnerships is always a decision that requires careful thought and doing it solely for the money is a surefire way to burn bridges in what is a tiny industry. The truth is I sought out a relationship with Humminbird based solely on the advantages in technology they had to offer. Money had nothing to do with it.

I think people appreciate his approach. A lot of guys have touted their equipment is the greatest around and everything else is second rate. Like you say that’s an easy way to burn a bridge. It wouldn’t be hard to find oneself the only guy using Simrad in the midwest because they ticked off Lowrance, Humminbird and Garmin. For example here’s a famous Minnesota fisherman that used to, or maybe still does, have a show who changed boats every few years. I don’t think he has ran the same brand more than once. Each time his boat was the greatest thing around.

IMO the IDO crew has been stand up guys when it comes to their sponsors, and I think that comes through on the show.

LabDaddy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>
    doing it solely for the money is a surefire way to burn bridges in what is a tiny industry

James, I don’t think this could have been said any better! It’s too bad that more business owners don’t realize this in the short term.

I’ve spent a lot of years in-industry on the wholesale side. In a short amount of time you realize how few people are in the industry and how frequent your paths cross. People don’t forget either. As people change from one company to another, they bring with them their memories and perceptions of other people. The impact that has is huge.

As for the $$$$$, I hate to even think about how difficult it has become to retain sponsors. I’m not talking about the little “pro staff” joke of a deal getting 20% off of list price on products. But true sponsors that pay well for product exposure, development, and growth. The “next generation “ is cutting everyone’s throat in the industry and manufactures know it. The explosion of people that want to be YouTube and social media stars are doing it for free trying to get noticed. (Or for next to nothing) Manufactures are not totally stupid when it comes to spending money.

To maintain good relationships and have an opportunity for good paying sponsorships, you need loyalty on both sides. If you get a reputation for just being a money whore, your done. Changing sponsors can be risky and needs to be done in a very professional manor. You never know when Mr x at an old company becomes the Marketing Director with the new company you hitched your wagon to

Wow, that was an in-depth response(sue me) and this a great discussion/topic. A lot of things seem more simple than they actually are, until you get firsthand experience with it…

Anyways, disregard me; I’m just a vexilar guy!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

For as quickly as the products in this industry change (tech especially) if you want to have the top gear, you likely will have to change brands here and there. This is a good thing as it shows that everyone is competing and driving each others’ companies to improve and grow.

I think it’s smart on James (whether he meant to or not) to have other brands on the show because it gives viewers a close look into other companies they may not have considered looking into or purchasing before seeing them used on the show.

Reed

Well stated James. I’m a Marcum user myself and have been very happy with the unit, but they haven’t been able to compete in the digital market with the likes Hummingbird’s and Garmin’s.
    Speaking of Hummingbirds though, James have you heard if they will be coming with lithium batteries like Garmins and Marcums are now?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James have you heard if they will be coming with lithium batteries like Garmins and Marcums are now?

I have and they will. waytogo

Reed

Thanks James! yay

Cameron white

Well stated James. I’m a Marcum user myself and have been very happy with the unit, but they haven’t been able to compete in the digital market with the likes Hummingbird’s and Garmin’s.
    Speaking of Hummingbirds though, James have you heard if they will be coming with lithium batteries like Garmins and Marcums are now?

Garmin came out with a lithium ion battery. Terrible choice. Same batteries as in smartphones, and we all know how well they do in the cold.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.