Giant Pike at Pasha Lake Cabins

• Aaron Avestruz
    River Falls, WI

Last week our IDO crew, along with James’ father-in-law Herb and brother John, headed to Pasha Lake Cabins near Jellicoe, Ontario for a fun week of fishing. Our main target was the giant pike of Lake Nipigon and other area lakes and rivers, and I’d say we were pretty successful!

James caught the biggest of the trip at just under 44″, while the rest of us each landed a couple over 40, and plenty more in the 36-39 range. #8 Blue Fox Super Bou in white and firetiger; Storm Jointed Flatsticks in chrome and yellow perch; Savage Gear 4Play in herring and cisco; and in my case, big clouser minnows and Bill’s Figure 8 flies in chartreuse, perch, and purple worked well.

We also caught our fair share of walleye for a few meals and a pile of whitefish whenever we wanted. BFishn AuthentX MOXIs in chartreuse/orange core were the ticket for the walleyes.

Overall, an awesome trip that we won’t soon forget! Big thanks to Chad Thompson at Pasha Lake for making our stay so great!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9991.jpg

Aaron Avestruz
    River Falls, WI

Alex and John with a couple 40-inchers of their own.

Attachments:
    1. John.jpg

2. Alex.jpg

Aaron Avestruz
    River Falls, WI

And finally Pat and I with two of our biggest of the trip. This was easily the biggest fish I’ve landed on a fly at just over 40″.

Attachments:
    1. Aaron.jpg

2. Pat.jpg

walleyevision

What were you using to catch the whitefish?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What were you using to catch the whitefish?

1/8th ounce VMC Marabou jigs in black and Brown Orange we’re the best in my boat. We also used #1 Vibrax spinners orange body with silver blades. Those whitefish are a blast when they’re stacked up in the rivers!

http://www.rapala.com/vmc/jigs/hair-jigs/dm-marabou-jig/DM+Marabou+Jig.html

http://www.bluefox.com/blue-fox/spinners/classic-vibrax/classic-vibraxandreg/Classic+Vibrax.html

bigpike

Very nice, whitefish would be cool to catch like that. Looks like some pretty big belly’s on some of those fish. How was the weather? I fear a fall trip on the mighty Nip and getting blown off the lake!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Very nice, whitefish would be cool to catch like that. Looks like some pretty big belly’s on some of those fish. How was the weather? I fear a fall trip on the mighty Nip and getting blown off the lake!

We lucked out with the wind and the weather. We had one day where the wind kicked up the big lake which meant we hid it out in sheltered bays. Outside of that we really lucked out and were able to travel anywhere we wanted to at any time. Nipigon is definitely becoming one of my favorite destinations and Chad always is a fantastic host. We were also able to get our big boats in on Northwinds Lake. Typically we wouldn’t be able to do that but because of all the extra precipitation in the weeks prior to our trip we had no problem launching the big boats on Northwind. The walleye bite out there is really something special. Definitely one of the best jigging rap bites I’ve experienced in years.

Alex Anderson
    Minneapolis, MN

*cough 43 1/2 inches… What a trip!

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Looks like a fun trip…Did you guys try for the Giant Brook Trout in both Lake Nipigon and or in the river where the world record Brook Trout was caught?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

awesome fish guys! waytogo

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Looks like a fun trip…Did you guys try for the Giant Brook Trout in both Lake Nipigon and or in the river where the world record Brook Trout was caught?

Unfortunately, the brook trout season closed on the 15th. We arrived on the 16th. We did pick up some good intel so we plan to go earlier in the month next September.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Safe to assume you filmed a show or at least a video you will be putting up soon?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Safe to assume you filmed a show or at least a video you will be putting up soon?

No on both accounts. This was an Employee Appreciation trip. No video cameras allowed.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Thankfully James held the fish horizontal so’s not to ‘rouse the “internet fish police” again… wink

While looking at the Alex fish pic, my eyes gravitated upward and wondered why he was wearing a hah funny looking scarf? That beard would hold a lot afternoon snacks. grin

All funny stuff aside, were you chasing these big pike over deep water basin following/feeding on the whitefish? You mentioned “Savage Gear 4Play in herring and cisco.” Is this when/where you caught up with the whitefish bite? Or did you find some of these big pike in shallower weedy areas? Or are there even shallow weedy areas in that system?
    Anyway, nice to see a “Keymaster”… Alex, I never knew existed!

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

You mentioned “Savage Gear 4Play in herring and cisco.” Is this when/where you caught up with the whitefish bite? Or did you find some of these big pike in shallower weedy areas? Or are there even shallow weedy areas in that system?
    Anyway, nice to see a “Keymaster”… Alex, I never knew existed!

Most of the pike came out of 3-6 FOW relating to cabbage. We did catch a few big fish in smaller rivers as well. The Savage Gear 4Play Herring is just a lipless crankbait/jerkbait that only dives about a foot.

Alex’s beard doesn’t let him out much…..

Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

(blow, blow… dust evaporating into the air; think old attic scene)

Been a while since I’ve been in here. See some familiar faces, it’s like a good ol’ fashion IDO/Pasha home coming toast

Only word that comes to mind is WOW. You guys spanked the fish of a life time on several day trips and didn’t even allow filming. So cool, yet probably really hard to do.

It was a blast having IDO here, enjoyed meeting everyone on staff, Herbster and of course John. mid week I was getting a little envious about the fishing you guys were doing – since I kept failing to make it in the boat with you. The nightly stories were excruciatingly painful and pleasureful all at the same time bawling bow

In the end though – McSharry, Mr. Anderson and I ended up on a distant remote lake. It was a blast! And although Team IDO was well represented, I do believe Team Pasha eked out a few more whitetails then the opposition. Props to McSharry for trying to make up the deficiency with a pike, but obviously to no avail.

CAN’T WAIT UNTIL 2018!!!!!!!

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

In the end though – McSharry, Mr. Anderson and I ended up on a distant remote lake. It was a blast! And although Team IDO was well represented, I do believe Team Pasha eked out a few more whitetails then the opposition. Props to McSharry for trying to make up the deficiency with a pike, but obviously to no avail.

Just remember who taught you the intricacies of trolling lead….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Just remember who taught you the intricacies of trolling lead….

Does anyone BUT the boat driver get credit for catching fish when trolling? devil

Chad, I know I’ll be taking all the credit for the giant lakers you catch next month up on Superior! grin

Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

(yawn)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

(yawn)

Nine minutes to think of a response and that’s what you come up with?

On another note, here’s a screen shot from my Garmin 7612 taken when we were fishing Northwinds. This lake kicks out crazy number of fish in the 16 – 19 inch range. Come late fall the fish are typically found in deeper water but since we were keeping fish for supper we didn’t have to worry about releasing fish so it was game on. We fished Jigging Raps and caught walleye from the bottom up to mid-water column. The fish were chasing schools of cisco and were dive bombing through the schools of bait and were very eager to engulf our raps and nearly jerk the rod from our hands on each hit.

This is the kind of experience that keeps me coming back to Pasha!

Attachments:
    1. 21SEP17_1731_00.jpg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Oh man, what a trip!!!!! I’m still remembering a similar report from last year, the jealousy continues peace

bigpike

With great weather and careful planning this summer I made it from Gull Bay to the mouth of Ombabika Bay hitting most islands in between including Kelvin, Bell, Geikie, Billings, Whiteaves, Barlow and Logan. About 100km as the crow flies and this crow dosent fly straight with so many nooks and crannys to explore. I am pushing my 16′ boat to the limit and maybe soon will upgrade. None the less: I have Ombabika Bay on my periscope for exploring soon…..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Chad, I know I’ll be taking all the credit for the giant lakers you catch next month up on Superior! grin

And Chad got his giant! Felt goods to pay Chad back for showing us such a great time up to Pasha back in September!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20171014_171228.jpg

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Super Cool Report Guys !!!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.