Ideal Ice Fishing rod and reel combo

• stevenhand01

Im looking into buying a couple new rod and reels and wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

First rod- Panfish- perch gills and crappie I like to see the bite rather than feel so a light tip would be nice but would also need some backbone in case I run into a pike.

Second rod- I fish pro line for walleyes and Pike

Third- A jigging rod for walleye that is able to see the bite but has plenty of backbone.

Reels- Not sure what to look for in a reel but if you have any that you like Id love to hear what they are.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

First rod- Panfish- perch gills and crappie I like to see the bite rather than feel so a light tip would be nice but would also need some backbone in case I run into a pike.

From panfish to pike,,,,, that’s a mighty tall order. I don’t see any one rod doing this well. Might do it “OK” but not well.

stevenhand01

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevenhand01 wrote:</div>
    First rod- Panfish- <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch gills and <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie I like to see the bite rather than feel so a light tip would be nice but would also need some backbone in case I run into a pike.

From panfish to pike,,,,, that’s a mighty tall order. I don’t see any one rod doing this well. Might do it “OK” but not well.

All Im saying is that I want it to be a panfish rod but if while Im fishing for them A pike hits it I don’t want it to break. My bad I should have been a little more clear.

competitor
    South central, mn

I read this as you wanted 3 different rods?? For panfish, a noodle rod is what you are looking for. Obviously a custom rod from TUCR, Thorne, or DH would be ideal. I purchased a St. Croix glass noodle rod and like it a lot. On sale for $37 now down from $50. Not quite as noodley as some, but a nice rod. For Jigging, I like a Medium light rod as it works for perch and walleye. For the ifish pro rod, I would buy a medium or MH depending on fishing pike or walleye more. I buy all my rods with recoil or fly guides to have bigger eyes to help with freeze up while outside.
    I really like the Jason Mitchell reels. They are $30, have a folding handle which is easier for the hard case and a large spool to help with coiling the line. Good luck.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

All Im saying is that I want it to be a panfish rod but if while Im fishing for them A pike hits it I don’t want it to break.

That is easy to avoid, just don’t overload the rod. Don’t put 8lb line on a panfish rod when 2 or 3 pound will do fine. Don’t put a 180 degree bend in the rod if/when you hook a large fish. Use the reel and your arms to fight the fish, not the rod. Otherwise you risk overloading and breaking the light panfish rod.

stevenhand01

That is easy to avoid, just don’t overload the rod. Don’t put 8lb line on a panfish rod when 2 or 3 pound will do fine. Don’t put a 180 degree bend in the rod if/when you hook a large fish. Use the reel and your arms to fight the fish, not the rod. Otherwise you risk overloading and breaking the light panfish rod.

Thank you! Any idea on the rod?

stevenhand01

I read this as you wanted 3 different rods?? For panfish, a noodle rod is what you are looking for. Obviously a custom rod from TUCR, Thorne, or DH would be ideal. I purchased a St. Croix glass noodle rod and like it a lot. On sale for $37 now down from $50. Not quite as noodley as some, but a nice rod. For Jigging, I like a Medium light rod as it works for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch and walleye. For the ifish pro rod, I would buy a medium or MH depending on fishing <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike or <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye more. I buy all my rods with recoil or fly guides to have bigger eyes to help with freeze up while outside.
    I really like the Jason Mitchell reels. They are $30, have a folding handle which is easier for the hard case and a large spool to help with coiling the line. Good luck.

Thank you very much and yes I was talking about three different rods. )

mr-special
    MPLS

I read this as you wanted 3 different rods?? For panfish, a noodle rod is what you are looking for. Obviously a custom rod from TUCR, Thorne, or DH would be ideal. I purchased a St. Croix glass noodle rod and like it a lot. On sale for $37 now down from $50. Not quite as noodley as some, but a nice rod. For Jigging, I like a Medium light rod as it works for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch and walleye. For the ifish pro rod, I would buy a medium or MH depending on fishing <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike or <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye more. I buy all my rods with recoil or fly guides to have bigger eyes to help with freeze up while outside.

+2
    would also like to add pflueger reels are pretty good as well. i use the presidents

on the Ifishpro rod you might want to look into an Okuma Avernger w/ baitrunner feature

competitor
    South central, mn

Nice call on both of those!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Step in to TUCR and check out their Precision Noodle, I absolutely love mine for using small jigs and spoons. The rod will play anything that takes the bait, if you have 2-4lb test on a big pike will break the line before you have to worry about the rod breaking.
    For #2 A lot of med-heavy ice rods will fit the bill. More important is the reel for that rod imo, I’ve seen James using some Okumas on his IFish Pros with a clicker that allows the reel to let line out freely with the bail closed, without messing with your drag.
    #3 sounds to me like you may really like the Bullwhip or Quicktip at TUCR.

As for reels, I really like the Shimano Sedonas, I think I have 10-12 for ice fishing. There are a lot of reels I haven’t tried because I have been so content with these.
    One thing I’ve learned with rods and reels for ice fishing is that you really get what you pay for. Up until about 4-5 years ago I went for the $29.99 combos at Joes, they let me down when I needed them most and I lost some good fish due to drags busting mid fight and rods breaking. Since then, my cheap rods are all fenwicks, my main rods are all TUCR (not that other custom rod guys don’t make a good stick, these guys have just always surpassed my expectations) and my reels are all Shimano.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I would check out the deadstick from TUCR for the ifish pro. They redesigned the blanks this year and it works great. Had mine up on Mille lacs two weeks ago and landed a few bigger eyes. The tip loads up nice and plenty of backbone to fight fish

Paul Delaney

You would definitely be very happy investing into some TUCR for all the species you want to fish for. As far as panfish go I would recommend both the Bullwhip along with the noodle. The bullwhip gives you great backbone but has a very soft tip for detecting light bites.The noodle also has a soft tip but not quite the backbone as the bullwhip both rods are a great choice for panfish. Fishing for walleyes you also would have some choices depending on how big of baits you are jigging also how big of fish you are fishing.My choice is the TUCR power precision this rod is very sensitive along with having a strong enough backbone to handle large walleyes or the occasional pike that may take your bait.As far as reels go for this season I have been using the Okuma Ceymar C-10 and am very happy how they balance out on my rods being very light along with a super quality reel. Look into TUCR and I promise you will be very happy with the quality of the rods you get. Good luck Fishing.

Paul Delaney

You would definitely be very happy investing into some TUCR for all the species you want to fish for. As far as panfish go I would recommend both the Bullwhip along with the noodle. The bullwhip gives you great backbone but has a very soft tip for detecting light bites.The noodle also has a soft tip but not quite the backbone as the bullwhip both rods are a great choice for panfish. Fishing for walleyes you also would have some choices depending on how big of baits you are jigging also how big of fish you are fishing.My choice is the TUCR power precision this rod is very sensitive along with having a strong enough backbone to handle large walleyes or the occasional pike that may take your bait.As far as reels go for this season I have been using the Okuma Ceymar C-10 and am very happy how they balance out on my rods being very light along with a super quality reel. Look into TUCR and I promise you will be very happy with the quality of the rods you get. Good luck Fishing.

ejdelvo28

First: Low end, HT Ice Blue. Mid range, JM Meatstick. High end, TUCR Bullwhip.

Second: Low end, Berkley Lightning rod MH. Mid range St Croix Premier MH, High end TUCR Power Precision or Commander

Third: Same as above.

iceaholic

TUCR gets lots of love here, and they are great rods. But look at JT Custom Rods too. I love the walleye snare and panfish snare. If you want to see the bite, as a deadstick rod, it can’t be beat.

Just got their panfish handler, and landed a small pike the other day. As other’s said, its in how you play the fish, I’d be more worried about your smaller line snapping then the rod itself.

But JT rods are good too at a lower price then the TUCR. But any reputable custom rod these days are very well made, can’t go wrong any way. Great customer service too, they replaced my walleye snare with a broken tip with a new rod. I’d buy from them again, in fact I already did twice!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

First: Low end, HT Ice Blue. Mid range, JM Meatstick. High end, TUCR Bullwhip.

Second: Low end, Berkley Lightning rod MH. Mid range St Croix Premier MH, High end TUCR Power Precision or Commander

Third: Same as above.

Ditto^^^^^^^^ I like that you have provided good options in all price ranges.

TUCR gets lots of love here, and they are great rods. But look at JT Custom Rods too.

But JT rods are good too at a lower price then the TUCR. But any reputable custom rod these days are very well made, can’t go wrong any way.

I’m fairly sure I heard that these JT “custom rods” are mass produced in a foreign land. If so, I really hope they hit a lower price than TUCR or any other reputable locally made product.

If I only could have three rods today, I’d get a Thorne stealth and 2 walleye sweethearts. I’d run one with braid, other with mono. I’d for sure get a noodle with my following paycheck.. jester

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iceaholic wrote:</div>
    TUCR gets lots of love here, and they are great rods. But look at JT Custom Rods too.

But JT rods are good too at a lower price then the TUCR. But any reputable custom rod these days are very well made, can’t go wrong any way.

I’m fairly sure I heard that these JT “custom rods” are mass produced in a foreign land. If so, I really hope they hit a lower price than TUCR or any other reputable locally made product.

FishWater – JT Rods are made down in Northfield, just so you know.

to answer the original question:

JT Custom 30″ Panhandler with built in spring bobber
    JT Walleye Snare rod
    JT Gold Digger

There are alot of great sticks on the market these days, I am partial to JT, but of the custom sticks that I have used, these are my favorite hands down, and at a good price point too.

stevenhand01

I think a foreign Land could be considered Nortfield lol

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I have yet to own a custom rod but I think I m going to have to pull the trigger on one for next season. Hear nothing but good things about TUCR.

FishWater – JT Rods are made down in Northfield, just so you know.

That’s good to know, I’m really glad to hear they are made in Northfield. My buddy that was ranting about it has is vested in the custom rod market, so he’s in no way impartial. He’s always been a reliable source of info though. I have a call in for clarification. And, I might have the wrong company, there are so many of them these days.. doah

I’d really hate for a company to sell ice equipment under false pretenses. wave I have been accused of being the Ralph Nader of the ice fishing world. redface

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.