One UGLY Bug !

• buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I was Ice fishing a pond today when this bug swam up my hole and attached to my transducer of my flasher It caught me a bit off guard can anybody tell me what this thing is

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Did it look like this?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If so, that photo was posted by a member on this thread earlier in the week >>> Bullheads

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Thanks James I didn’t see that my pics didn’t upload hope this helps I couldn’t get rid of this thing all day I’d shove him down the hole and would come right back up

herb
    6ft under

scientific name (maneatingbeetleroachdirtyunderpantshitchhiker)
    common name (bait)

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

good one herb and thanks for the link got my answer

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

scientific name (maneatingbeetleroachdirtyunderpantshitchhiker)
    common name (bait)

If you have put one of those on a hook, you are a bigger man than I. I believe they sting? I hate those things. In the summer we’d sometimes find them under street lights because the light reflecting off the pavement make it look like water.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I don’t believe that they sting, but I bet they can put a good chomp on a guys finger.

Mark

To me, when it comes to insects that is the same thing.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Giant water bug is correct – aka toe biter. They have venom in the claws at the end of their front two legs that they use to inject their prey. Incidently – the venom disables their prey and digests it from the inside out – their mouth is like a straw that they insert into the prey and they eat the digested creature from the inside out – I tell the kids it’s like a creature malt. Fascinating water bugs to be sure – just handle with care.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I imagine it must be pretty embarrassing for a baby pike to be eaten by one of these. After all, aren’t fish supposed to eat the bugs?

icepromk
    sw wi

Quote:

Giant water bug is correct – aka toe biter. They have venom in the claws at the end of their front two legs that they use to inject their prey. Incidently – the venom disables their prey and digests it from the inside out – their mouth is like a straw that they insert into the prey and they eat the digested creature from the inside out – I tell the kids it’s like a creature malt. Fascinating water bugs to be sure – just handle with care.

humans are not there “prey” so would there “venom” have any affect on people??? i mean would it be something you would have to go checked out for if one bit you??

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

Quote:

Quote:

humans are not there “prey” so would there “venom” have any affect on people??? i mean would it be something you would have to go checked out for if one bit you??

You never know, people have different reaction with B and wasp stings. I had no ill affects when I got bit by one a few years ago, I would compare it to a horse fly bite.

Take Care!!!

Kevin

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

They taste like chicken

wkw

So Brett, What came first? The chicken? Or things that taste like chicken?
    WKW

sootie
    arcadia wi,

yup,the secret big crappie lure is out now,all we have to do is catch em!

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

item from Water Bug site:

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Down in Florida I know a guy who uses them for bait. Catches them in the night with a light dangling in the water. He says the talapia love them. I have a hard enough time getting a Hellgamite on the hook when I fish for smallmouth, couldn’t imagine trying to get one of those things on there!

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

Any bug that can trap and eat small fish I aint a hookin!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.