Pool 8, What To Do?

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Pool 8 offers so many different types of backwaters and species of fish to target I just can’t make up my mind what to do or where to start most times. What to do for the 4 days a way from work is still undecided as the shoulder wart still ponders on what would be the right call.

We can either target shallow water gills, perch, pike, specks and Bass or head for deeper water running anywhere from 10-35feet looking for suspended targets that might be chasing schools of shad or hanging around structure.

The pool can be fished for a hard water season without landing in the same area for the whole season. Some areas see a lot of foot traffic while others that might take some work to get to see hardly a person until open water comes along once again.

With two maybe three days to chase the finned critters I still have no idea what or where to head. That’s just a terrible situation to be in don’t ya think

Guess I’ll just keep looking at the map until something either pops into or clicks in the skull

Good luck fishing over the Holidays Iceheads, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Bret:

That’s the quandry of the north too!!! With 3200 pieces of water to try in a 60 mile circle, where and what are always a problem. Good luck deciding!!!

“Good luck fishing over the Holidays Iceheads, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,” Right back atcha!!!

Hoping to get DodgeBoy to the Pete on the 15th!!!

Mark

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Hoping to get DodgeBoy to the Pete on the 15th!!!

Mark

That would be awesome if you guys make the trip Just tell Greg to stop being such a girl or he will have to sit in the truck

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Just go where Mike tells you Brett !

Good luck & be careful on the UN-known ice quality areas !

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

You know where I’ll be:)

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

That would be awesome if you guys make the trip Just tell Greg to stop being such a girl or he will have to sit in the truck

I mentioned it to him and he thought he might have to be at the in-laws that weekend, which is really close. We’ll see… Great read on the perch!!!

Mark

herb
    6ft under

Poor baby.
    Here, let me kiss it and make it all better!
    I should have such a predicament.
    Bret, if I were you I’d go to that super secret spot nobody else knows about. You know, the one you have leave your truck parked a mile and a half away from at 3:00am and walk to and can’t leave for home till after midnight.
    Yeah, that’s the one! But no matter cause I’m betting you’ll catch fish wherever you decide to go.

hawkeye27

Bret I have never Ice fished the river! How do you know where to even start let alone try and narrow a spot on the spot down

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Here are my main 2 tools…

bathymetry

Google earth….an easy download.

I use the above maps as an overlay. You can see the rivers surface and structure from google earth and the bathymetry will point out depth. Great for starting points but keep in mind the river is forever changing and pre season scouting is beneficial

We have a good amount of pressure in the La Crosse area. Not a bad thing…just a lot of guys like to fish. Don’t be afraid to drive around and see where the action is. Trust me…..65percent do it

Team up with some one. Two heads are always better than one!

Hope this helps. Read the reports. Use your tools to find the water guys are talking about. And go at it. Best of luck Iceheads

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Hey Bret, let’s go fishing on Friday. Where should I meet you?

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Looks like Friday is spoken for Bret, I’ll take tomorrow. Two heads are better than one!

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

You owe me some payback pics

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

What to do……Brett you need to host the GTG this year.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I will be at the Jan. 15th Petenwell GTG. Cats threw the ice sounds like a blast.
    Maybe later on in the season we could all hit a community hole in the La Crosse area for a GTG.
    Koonce……we doing PDC this year? I know you have your hands full right now, just asking!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I just got off the phone from talking with my buddy Mike and we have a game plan for tomorrow
    We are going fishing tomorrow morning, just don’t know where yet

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Bret, I would like to see some big crappies in your next report! I’m talking borderline donks here.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

OK….We’ll give it a shot!

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Good Luck Bret and crew

Send me pics

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Bret, I would like to see some big crappies in your next report! I’m talking borderline donks here.

I tried but could only ice a very few. Can’t seem to get away from the perch this year

Found some good gills too….Christmas vacation rocks

Back to the grind tomorrow

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I’ll let it slide this time Bret . Good job on the perchies.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.