Rod Transport and Storage idea…What do you think

• Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Well I’ve tried all kinds of things to safely store my rod and reel combos. I wanted to have something that I can quickly access them from and not have to open a box or unzip a bag. This is what I came up with. Please let me know what you guys think.

Dave

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

a few more pics.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

nice! and in the summer it will double as a shoulder mounted rocket launcher during the neighborhood firework display.

lhprop1
    Eagan

That’s a really great idea! Is that an old lawn chair bag?

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

That’s a really great idea! Is that an old lawn chair bag?

Yep, it’s a bag chair bag. I need to get my hands on some more of these bags. I used one for this project and I started using one years ago to put my 6″ hand auger in. They work great for many things!

broman

I’ve been thinking of something similar. Your bag idea has helped point me in the right direction. Good idea.

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

That looks great!!

What length are the tubes?

Do you have anything securing the rods in if it happens to tip? Small bungees over the back of the reel, or velcro straps across the top of the tubing?

I have some leftover tubing very similar I used to make fly rod tubes, I’ll have to give this a try. I always seem to have an extra rod or two, or three….leaned up in my portable when switching presentations, this would be a nice quick way to stash them. I never liked putting rods in and out of the bags constantly.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The rods look well protected – Not so sure about the reels.

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

That looks great!!

What length are the tubes?

Do you have anything securing the rods in if it happens to tip? Small bungees over the back of the reel, or velcro straps across the top of the tubing?

I have some leftover tubing very similar I used to make fly rod tubes, I’ll have to give this a try. I always seem to have an extra rod or two, or three….leaned up in my portable when switching presentations, this would be a nice quick way to stash them. I never liked putting rods in and out of the bags constantly.

The tubes are 30 inches. Currently nothing securing the rods but as you said, just need to put a small bungee above the reel handles to hold them down. I ran out of time today, might have to finish that tomorrow.

I’m going to see how they sit in a 6 gallon bucket for the time being. Otherwise I might see if I can attached them to the rails on my seat in my Guide for when I’m fishing.

We’ll see how it all works in a few days. I’ll report back the results.

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

The rods look well protected – Not so sure about the reels.

The reels are pretty tight in there so my hope is they will not be able to move enough to bang into each other. We’ll see how much paint is missing after a few trips.

sandmannd

Looks good to me. I have a Ready Rig bag that I put PVC in to hold my rods. Very similar, but it zips closed.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

I made a simular holder. But I didn’t tape them together. I put on a pvc screw end cap so that the rods can’t fall out.

chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Another thing you can do to help secure the rods down is make a cut just a hair wider than the reel shaft and then make a 90 turn so your rod handle would go all the way down into the tube and then that turn would help lock it in. Look like an inverted L…

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Awesome idea…looks like I have a new project to work on! Thanks!

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

Another thing you can do to help secure the rods down is make a cut just a hair wider than the reel shaft and then make a 90 turn so your rod handle would go all the way down into the tube and then that turn would help lock it in. Look like an inverted L…

Awesome idea! Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.