Tip up Box

• shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Does anyone have plans or photos of tip up boxes they us. Or even where I could buy one. I cannot find them on line or in stores. I am guessing I have to make them for my dad. If you use one and are willing to share your successes and failures, I would really be grateful.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

have a buddy who carries a bunch of tip-ups around. he built a 3/4 inch plywood base with a box in the middle made from the same plywood, he then cut some heavy 4-5 inch (or whatever size your tip-ups) PVC about 18 inches long and set those around the box, there are 2 holes drilled through the PVC and lines up the pipes to the box and marks the holes on the box and drilled holes through the box. Attach the PVC to the box usung bolt and washers. The base would have to extend out enough so a row of PVC tubes can be attached to the outside of the box and still rest on the base. He has a handle added to the box. The box has no top but he made it the size to fit a couple plastic tackle trays in there. A picture would be worth a thousand words. This thing works well, I just cringe when we have to haul all his stuff around and we end up using two tip-ups.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Thanks Jon. Chomps thanks as well but I should have made myself more clear that I was looking for the boxes to keep the holes ice free.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’m probably missing something… Why would you need to use a box like the one in the video Jon posted? Why not just use an insulated hole cover. I’m sure they sell them at Gander or Fleet. I made some with plywood and styrofoam insulation. Your tipup sits on top of the cover. If you pack snow around the cover, you could leave your tipups in all night in -20 weather and still chip the ice away with a scooper.

These would work too.

Insulated hole cover

deertracker

Here’s one I made. I put a candle in it and never have ice issues.
    DT

fishalot

Have you tried to google Bite Me Box TipUps? You can buy them online

Baitwaster
    South metro

Anyone else undertake this type project in the last 12 years? What do you like / dislike about them – either built or bought? Other than taking up room..

deertracker

I liked them at the time. My dad started making/using them in the 90s. Now there are so many insulated tip-up options on the market that they are not needed. Space is the biggest reason I stopped using them. Having 4 to 6 of them took up a lot of storage.
    DT

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

My dad started making/using them in the 90s

Still have a couple sitting in the raters at the cabin.

….and who is that other Jon Jordan with 10k posts? grin

-J.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.