New Hand Auger Issue

• reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Sorry, hate to be a whiner but: Couldn’t find new blades for my old 6″ auger anywhere locally, so set out to get a new auger altogether. Times are tight, so I passed on the $75 Lazer and “settled” on the cheaper Mora 8″.
    Took it out that night, straight out of the box and IT WOULDN’T CUT A HOLE!!
    Blades are fine, the cutting angle is off on one side of the auger. Worked my butt off, got all sweaty trying to punch 3 holes through 5″ of ice until someone with a power auger took pity on me and ran over and blasted a few for me(Thanks! )
    Besides the obvious(buying a NEW, new auger), anybody got any tips or advice? Anyone have this happen before to them?
    I’m really disappointed, and now can’t find receipt.
    -Rev

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Sometimes they put a clear tape on the blades. I am assuming you checked them, right?

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

There’s definately no tape on the blades, no.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

now can’t find receipt.
    -Rev

By chance did you buy it with a credit card? If so, call your CC company and see if they can’t get you a duplicate. I wouldn’t mess with trying to shim or sharpen blades on a new auger. I’d swap it out for a new one.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Sorry, hate to be a whiner

PS – you’re not whining. A new auger should be able to cut an ice hole or two.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

My first hand auger was a Mora and if I remember right it came with some shims taped to the handle. My guess was to slightly change the blade angle if needed.

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

I had the same problem two years ago with and eight inch lazer and i took it to a local baitshop they said that the blades were good as it seem yours should be fine but they told me that the pitch was off and the blades were not in sync with each other they told me there was only one option and that was to get the auger to bend back into place so the blades would be alinged correctly i couldn’t figure out how to do that so i just bought a new one i don’t understand how these augers can just bend out of place i know there not the most expensive peice of equiptment but you would think that they should last longer than one ice season. I would call the company and file a complaint maybe they will ship you out a new one. I know how it feels to sit on the ice hoping someone will have pity and drill a hole for u. Its fustrating and no one should have to deal with that best of luck let us know how it all goes.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

go buy a new one, then take the old one back with the receipt from the new one. Sometimes, they just don’t get them right when they make them. I had an old mora that I messed with for weeks before I got the right size shims under the blades and it started to cut right. I got a lazer a few years later and would never go back to the regular mora. Of course, I usually just use my strikemaster unless the ice is only a few inches.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Good news, found my receipt! It will be going back in the morning…more to follow.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Promised an update–returned said faulty auger to the store it was purchased from; they agreed one of the blades was ground improperly, so go on back and pick out a different one. No problem! Naturally, me being me, went ahead and upgraded to the lazer, and new gloves, and a couple of must have lures…anyway, by the time I got out of there I had a new auger(still haven’t tried it) and even more tackle and a good feeling from the way I was treated about it.
    See you on the ice this weekend–this time I wont’ be the guy huffing and puffing and cussing!
    Well, unless the fish won’t bite…
    Hit ’em for me folks, thanks for all your support!
    -Rev

chomps
    Sioux City IA

that is awesome news, be sure to give the shop an “attaboy!” and don’t be afraid to share the name of the shop who treated you right. So often we hear just the bad incidents with retailers who ruffle the feathers, you did it right.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

You made a wise choice stepping up to the lazer!

sandmannd

You are going to love the Laser. Leaps and bounds above a Mora.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

I hate my 8″ Mora, it takes 5 minutes to bounce-shave through an inch of ice. Never again, soon to be a new power auger owner.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Sorry guys, but with all the hype about the Lazer I have to say after this weekend I’m not impressed. Huffed and puffed my way thru 1/2 dozen holes on Saturday, then 2 kids with their power auger wandered over and offered to help. Felt like an idiot standing out there running in sweat and straining to catch my breath, grateful that two 12yr olds were bailing me out. Should be me helping some kid out, not the other way around. I just can’t believe I got 2 lemons in a row, but maybe??!!
    Could be the ice conditions, or the change(for me) from 6″ to 8″, but I had a hard time keeping it cutting–kept wanting to bounce and skip, and wouldn’t bite. When it did bite, wouldn’t keep cutting. Took it with on Sunday, but ended up using my old 6″ with the worn-out blades that was supposed to get replaced by the new auger. Even with old dull blades, it cut like butter compared to the new 8″ Lazer.
    I know many of you on this site swear by them…but I spent Saturday swearing AT mine and won’t own another one anytime soon.
    P.S. FleetFarm in Antigo is where I got the auger–GREAT ice selection and customer service!
    Just that they don’t seem to carry any decent augers…

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

If you read up to my Auger help post – the replys I got back said that I had iced up between blade and auger. I was out on Sat also. Maybe you had the same problem I did. That is my only suggestion.

seeds
    SE WI

Is there any chance you’re putting the blades on wrong? The other possibility is maybe you’re not treating the cutting edge with reverence?…Well,maybe not “reverence”,but you can’t bang them on the ice or otherwise mistreat them.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have cut with a 6″ and an 8″ lazer many times and have never huffed or puffed, and I am far from being in any shape other than round. Sometimes you can get into bad ice that doesn’t cut, like busted up and refrozen stuff. If you are on good ice and it isn’t cutting, you either have blades caked in ice so they can’t grab, or blades that are out of alignment or bent. Very possible you got two lemons in row.

hambone870
    Illinois Wisconsin Border

Always nice to have a good return experience with a retailer. Lazers do rock!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I would never use an 8″ hand auger unless there is 6″ or less of ice, to much for me, call me a wimp but I like to drill a lot of holes. A 6″ hole is plenty big enough for all panfish and most Walleyes and Northerns.

Could be bad ice contributing to the problem but you still should not have that much difficulty with good sharp blades and less than a foot of ice.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Quote:

Is there any chance you’re putting the blades on wrong? The other possibility is maybe you’re not treating the cutting edge with reverence?…Well,maybe not “reverence”,but you can’t bang them on the ice or otherwise mistreat them.

Nope; learned long ago to take care of my blades. these are fresh, new and sharp–no banging, no ice build up. The blades on this one look good–acts like the angle/pitch is off one side on the auger.
    Done fighting it, just won’t own another. Have one for sale cheap–very little use, haven’t cut 5 holes with it! Great for that upper body cardiovascular workout so many of us need! Get your heart rate going too! A bargain!

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I had the same issue with my 8 inch lazer, was not impressed and it was sent down the road for half price.

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Nils!!!!! That should fix the problem.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.