You guys using fly reels for ice fishing….

• Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I think it is a great idea. I fished with a couple of older guys in the 90’s, from the UK and they brought over centrepin rods and reels for steelheading on the Deschuttes in OR. It was really interesting to watch them and I always had thought a simple reel would be a great way to go for lake trout – thru the ice.

You may be able to find some cheaper fly reels and centre pin reels on the internet.

Dog

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I watched James using one so I went out to find out what was available. inexpensive size 3/4 reels are hard to find and use a clicker drag instead of washers. Rods suitable to use with fly reels are equally difficult to find since short handles are the norm for today’s spinning gear. Aside from Thorne Bros., I am not aware of any big box stores that carry them. As this is cutting edge stuff, I’m sure that James and the IDO Ice fishing prostaff will chime in with the best available information on the net!

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Bob- you have a PM.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The concept is a great one and Thorne Bros has done a lot in the way of developing the concept into a real gem. Many of the Thorne rods are available today with a special fly seat/handle for those who want the best mounting option.

Thorne’s Pat Smith has done wonders with the Cortland reel that the store settled on originally. If I am not mistaken they are working on an Okuma as well, maybe they have them in stock now as well.

The problem that pat ran into was with the drag found in the less expensive reels, which is a clicker type of affair. The Cortland reel offered a washer drag that works with the ice rod. One of the drawbacks to using a clicker reel is that every head on the ice will be focussed on whoever has one in his hand when he is letting a fish run.

A quick call to Pat or Matt Johnson can get answers right from the best. I just ordered a 32 power noodle with recoil guides and have an Okuma sitting right here to go on it.

chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Ct and others,

We know how to take the clicker out of the fly reels for those who are looking to be stealthy!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Clicker sound is also good rattle reel replacement.

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve been wanting to get a fly reel this year to try out but know nothing about fly reels.

Is it possible to get into decent reel for under $50? Also, the clicking you guys talk of, is that on line take up or when the drag is being pulled out? I really don’t think I can handle hearing clicking when trying to enjoy my ice time.

Any info would greatly help.

Thanks,

Dave

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Quote:

I’ve been wanting to get a fly reel this year to try out but know nothing about fly reels.

Is it possible to get into decent reel for under $50? Also, the clicking you guys talk of, is that on line take up or when the drag is being pulled out? I really don’t think I can handle hearing clicking when trying to enjoy my ice time.

Any info would greatly help.

Thanks,
    Dave

Under $50, yes. Clicker comes both ways. Full time clicker both directions or clicker only when line pulled out on it. You can pretty much always disable the clicker.

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Anyone have any experience with this brand? I’ve got some Cabela’s cash to spend and would like to purchase here but will shop elsewhere if need be.

Ross Flystart

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

I checked out the Ross Flystarts at a local store just the other night. Metal components but felt very cheap. I would spend a few extra bucks and get an Okuma SLV. I have used one for both actual fly fishing and a few times out on the ice this year and highly recommend it. I would definitely spend the few extra bucks. Guys on here have also recommended the Cortland’s available at Thorne Bros.

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Just checked out the Okuma SLV, that is a nice looking reel.

So my guess would be the smallest would be the best for strictly panfishing. Would I be good to go with the SLV-23?

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

yeah, i would think the 2/3 is best. I have a 4/5 but as I said use it for fly fishing as well. If you have the chance, stop by somewhere that carries them to see what fits your hands best. If you have larger hands, a 4/5 may work better.

Overall, I think you’ll be happy with either size, the SLV is a great reel for the price.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.