Ice fishing trip suggestions??

• trphyhuntr
    Pierce/ St. Croix Cty

I’ve got 6-8 guys lookn to go ice fishing about mid january. We would like to catch primarily walleyes, but would like somekinde of day bite as well weather its pike or perch or just about anything besides sunfish. We are considering red lake if there is a good walleye bite still. We are willing to travel anywhere in WI and MN or maybe devils lake. We would like sleeper shacks. Wheres the hot place this year. Any info would be appreciated. thank you.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’ve got 6-8 guys lookn to go ice fishing about mid january. We would like to catch primarily walleyes, but would like somekinde of day bite as well weather its pike or perch or just about anything besides sunfish. We are considering red lake if there is a good walleye bite still. We are willing to travel anywhere in WI and MN or maybe devils lake. We would like sleeper shacks. Wheres the hot place this year. Any info would be appreciated. thank you.

Rainy, Lake of the Woods or Devils would be high on my list. The bite on all three bodies of water is a day bite. Fishing Rainy with Granrud is all but going to guarantee you some BIG fish along with a solid day bite for eater ‘eyes and some perch. Lake of the Woods along the south shore is good for quantities of fish, both saugers and walleyes. Devils Lake is awesome early in the season most years. Pike, walleyes and a few perch will round out the catch on that lake.

For my money I’m heading to Rainy. There’s relatively light pressure and the number of big walleyes and gigantic pike caught from ice up through January is impressive.

foulpole18
    North Branch, MN

Lake of the woods

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

I’m thinking Rainy or LOTW. Same distance, which is better?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Dog, I’m not sure which is better but LOW might be easier for a newbie. Along the SE shore there is not much for structure and the fish generally roam a specific depth range. The slow slope basin (espisially out of pine island) drops really gradual and looks like nothing eyes would roam, but trust me, lurke they do.
    Either lake will be a blast for you, have fun. -Mark

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

I’m thinking Rainy or LOTW. Same distance, which is better?

Lake of the woods for numbers and a good chance at a big walleye or pike.

Not to mention you can take home 8 walleye/sauger.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

If Chris couldn’t fit you in on Rainy. My next “sleeper” would be Door County Wi Sand Bay area. Walleyes AM and PM and whitefish during the day. With a legit shot at a 10 lb plus walleye with 12 lb plus not out of the question

arklite881south

Hands down Rainy Lake for monster walleyes. OK….. With that being said I live a short 30 minutes from Kab (Plenty under the Radar still), 45 minutes from LOTW of course CAN be (Fantastic), 10 minutes from the Rainy River (Yep Ice Fishing,and few know that!!), 1 1/2 hours from Red…….. and within an hour of MANY awesome small lake bites. We’ve built a big following simply icing big fish. ALL AWESOME FISHERIES GUYS!! I fish them ALL as they are all in my close neighborhood, and have guided on all of them besides Red at some point during the ice fishing season. Those who have fished with me have a clear understanding we strive to be on THE best bite in the “northwoods”!! All anglers understand that at points in the season one fishery might be on a hot streak while the other flounders, and that is the reality of fishing in a nutshell. We at Rainydaze guide service simply hope they aren’t all OFF at the same time, and that CAN HAPPEN. Trust me during the winter scene at the Daze big fish Headquarters……CATCHING big fish remains KING!! Sleds, Otters make exploring bites the absolute most challenging, yet rewarding time of the year for us. Heck my search and destroy team (Looking for a Raise!! ) is freaking out right now with this years plan! They love it trust me! Still with all that being said…….Rainy Lake is clearly my personal #1 spot for the individual angler to ice a monster walleye on a consistent basis on hardwater.

Based previous years I predict we will have 20 eyes surpassing the 27 inch benchmark by January 15th,and hopefully more depending on weather and a bit of LUCK!! 2 years ago we landed 28 walleyes over 28 inches by Jan.31st. Those are the best numbers we’ve ever put up. I clearly remember wearing our arms off on big fish during an ice shoot in which we just about froze the camera man out!! Looks like we’ll have another great supporting cast helping us reach our goals again this winter. One guide service with an average of 3 guys per day.

Close, Personal, a bit Secretive , BUT EFFECTIVE! Bring your cameras, and get your line in the water!!

earnit

Chris, so looking forward to seeing you in March!!

Jay

arklite881south

Greetings Jay!! Can’t wait to get going!! It will be here before we know it!!

trphyhuntr
    Pierce/ St. Croix Cty

hey, thanks for the input guys, I will talk it over with the boys and see what the final decision is. The past couple of years we fished leech and that seemed pretty hit and miss. I have seen the videos of Chris and James on the Rainy River and that looks awesome. Well good luck on the hardwater and if anyone else has any ideas feel free to let us know. Thanks again!!!! ><////////;>

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.