Sally’s First Ice Adventure Pool 8

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

After being able to help a good friend, Jake, experience his first ice fishing adventure last winter his daughter Sally wanted to share the experience so up they travelled on Friday night from the SE part of the state for a Saturday outing on the ice. My oldest Son Nathan also travelled up from the same area with his snowmobile so the stage was set for a great day.
    Starting out a little after first light with Sally jumping on the snowmobile with Nathan and Jake and I pulling the gear out with my ATV we had the ability to be mobile or at least have a fun day on the ice motoring around. Stopping at a spot that holds 16 – 20’ and past success, we found good buddy Dave already there with a report of lots marks so we decided to give it a try. Unfortunately Bret was not able to join us – missed ya buddy.
    After getting the tent set up for Jake and Sally they were soon getting some hits and the feel for my St. Croix Legends. It took a few minutes to get slip knots set up on all the rods to set the depth of where we were marking fish, in the 10 – 14′ range as the 4 of us were sharing one LX-5. It didn’t take long and Sally had her first fish through the ice, a nice blue gill that will be very tasty for their fish fry. Jake and Sally became very good at reading the LX-5 as did Nathan but Sally soon developed the feel for those light hitting gills and put us 3 guys to shame with her success.
    Nathan and I made an ATV trip to another proven spot but with the same results we decided to stay where we were. From the sounds coming out of my tent, Father and Daughter were having a great time and the howls that would come out after a missed fish were hilarious. I taught them the – “Bret Clark Method Of Missed Fish” – you have to proclaim loudly- – – “Oh that was a nice one” which they very quickly picked up on and there were many “nice ones” lost this day. Missed ya buddy. The day was rounded out with Nathan trying out Dad’s ATV and Dad Trying out Nathan’s snowmobile. I want one of those I forgot just how much fun they were although he thought I was “putzing” along I thought I was screaming out there at 40 mph. Sally and Nathan took the long route off the lake on his snowmobile and by her grins you could tell it was a fun experience. Even though it wasn’t the most furious bite it was a great day to spend on the ice with Nathan and good friends Sally and Jake and our toys. Enjoy the fish fry Sally and Jake.
    Pictures: Sally’s first ever fish through the ice – – Nathan with Dad’s shelter – – Father and Daughter success – – Nathan trying Dad’s toy – – Jake, Sally and Nathan – – Nathan and Sally ready to fly off the ice.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I wish I could have been there guys
    I’m so glad you were on fish. Atta girl Sally for putting the smack down on Mike, Nathan and Dad

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Looked like a great day Mike! Fishing and friends with all of the toys. Way to go Sally

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice report Mike!

Sounds like Sally had a great first ice experience.

Bob Gordon
    Washington,IL

Awesome !!!!

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Mike,
    Good to get others out on the ice. I’ve had fun introducing a number of peole to the wide-eyed world of ice fishing. I was the lone guy on the other side of the bridge and had my 3 year old out for awhile. We had great numbers, but pretty small. We kept a few for a fry this morning. Did manage to catch a 28 inch dogfish on a forage minnow. What a fight…what an ugly fish (IMHO).

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

You lucky guy you!

codycroteau1
    La Crosse Wisconsin

were u fishin down by the spillway? they have been bitin there and thats kinda what the shoreline looks like?

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Yup. Didn’t do too good of a job hiding it did I? It’s a good spot for taking a first timer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.