Winnie & LOW report 1/15-17th

• rcn_brian
    Andover, MN

I hit Winnie with a couple friends on the 15 to target walley, perch and pike. We pulled up a nice 27 inch pike on a tip up right away in 24 fow. We were jigging with silver and gold jigs tipped with fat heads in 26 to 29 fow and were catching a few eating size walleye. We pulled up very few perch and caught a large eelpout. It was a slow day on the ice all day.

On the 16th, we went to LOW and fished in 25 to 30 fow. The fish were not biting. We talked to people near us and in other locations and the fishing was slow for everyone. We managed to get a few walleye to take home, but that was it. We caught most of the fish on bright yellw/green jigs with minnows.

On the 17th, we hit Winnie early and stayed until 3:00 PM. We hit the same spot we had fished 2 days earlier. We set up tip ups and began jigging. We pulled up a nice 21 inch walleye that hit a tip up and sent it back down the hole. A short while later another flag went up and we pulled up a nice 33 inch pike. That was all for the tip ups. As for jigging, we were getting a few small perch early on, but they just didn’t seem interested. At about 1:00, the fishing turned on. We were pulling up perch and walleye. They hit well for about 35 minutes, then it died off again. During thehalf hour of excitement, many of the perch we were catching were spitting out fresh minnows they were feeding on. These minnow had a little more gold color than the minnows we bought. I decided to hook one of these minnows from the lake and that minnow made the fish more aggressive. After our little run of fish it slowed. We thought they maybe went up shallow. Well, before going shallow, I decided to go out deep. I was in 28 fow and went to 37 fow. As soon as I did, I started catching walleye again. We all fished in 30+ fow for the next hour before we packed up and left for home. Lure of choice was a small silver sweedish pimple.

That was the weekend of fishing. I’ll be back up to Winnie the 28th – 31st for my bachelor party and hopefully we can find the kind of fish we caught this last Sunday. I hope this info is helpful for others to increase their success.

~Brian

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like a fun trip brian. Thanks for the report. You going to be back out on the ice this weekend? I may be out locally or head a little ways north. Guess it depends on the weather.

rcn_brian
    Andover, MN

I would like to go out this weekend, but I have to work on some wedding stuff with the fiance. You tell me which sounds more fun…

I am hoping to try Bald Eagle Lake in the near future if it works out. I have only been on Peltier and Centerville this year as far as local area lakes are concerned.

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

Thanks for the update on Winnie. We had similar results last weekend.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

RCN_Brian

Thanks for the report. Any tips are appreciated. I head up at the end of Feb. with a group of 10 guys and we fish Winnie for 4 days. Every year we learn a little more about the lake and how to get the fish to bite.

slick1
    Boscobel Wisconsin

Heading up to Lake Winnie on the first week of February. Just wondering what the report is? Are the Walleye hitting and at what depth? How about the perch and pan fish. Any information would be appriciated.
    Slick

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

where you heading out of? will be up there also on the night of the 28th through the 31st and in a ice castle. can not wait for fishing.

broncs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.