Clam Command Post – An Update

• LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Well, I pulled the trigger a few weeks back and picked up a Command Post, so I could take all three little ones with me (though I still plan on using my Voyageur when it’s just a few of us). I was also happy to make my maiden voyage the other night, as the first few weeks it was used as a fort, reading space, home for “Littlest Pet Shops” and most notably a dance hall with the kids plug in disco ball Here are my observations after one outting…

Set up and tear down is a snap (I can literally do it in two minutes or less), though I’m sure it’s a bit trickier when the wind is blowing. Because the wind was down, I didn’t even need the ice anchors…just a bit of snow on the flaps.

Relatively warm temps (upper 20s dropping to upper teens by the time we left) and little wind the other night, but my Big Buddy kept it plenty warm.

Set up the holes in the circular fashion on one end and kept all of the gear/heater on the other. I now think the better way to go would be to drill six holes in a straight line (I don’t fish with all three kids…six holes is plenty to keep up with) along one side and use two lanterns to light. That way, the holes provide a “barrier” to keep kids from getting burned by the lantern. Also, when they need to get up, they can back away from the holes and don’t have to step over them (especially after the surface starts getting a bit slick)…don’t need a broken leg or wet feet. This setup will allow me to stand behind them to keep on eye on what’s going, plus make it much easier access helping each of them.

The best part is that my kids enjoyed the ice fishing experience much more, because they felt they had a lot more freedom to move around then when we’re crammed into my Voyageur. In turn, that meant they were willing to fish longer…despite the slow catching

Considering it is only one outting, I’m very pleased and feel the investment to be able to spend quality time with all three of my future fishing buddies was well worth it. Only complaint so far, was the stitching on one of the shoulder straps on the carrying case was half undone right of the the box…I’ll have to deal with GM or Clam on that.

Can’t wait for the next trip…

Jim

><(((>

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Thanks LF. Please keep us posted after a windy day excursion.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Nothing beats getting the little ones out on the ice for a day of fishing. Glad to hear your new setup is rockin’

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Get any pictures?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Click it then schedule a date

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks for the product review!

-J.

rljohnson020

I have the clam summit and depending on what you want to do with it, it works well. I dislike the mobility of it as it takes quite a bit longer to move from spot to spot with it. In the wind i have found it best to anchor the corners down before pulling it up so you dont have to fight the wind. I think it makes me lazy when i fish, I put off moving because it takes a while to do. Just my thoughts on it, im looking for a 2-3 man flip down instead but depending on how you plan to fish they can be great.

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Quote:

I have the clam summit and depending on what you want to do with it, it works well. I dislike the mobility of it as it takes quite a bit longer to move from spot to spot with it. In the wind i have found it best to anchor the corners down before pulling it up so you dont have to fight the wind. I think it makes me lazy when i fish, I put off moving because it takes a while to do. Just my thoughts on it, im looking for a 2-3 man flip down instead but depending on how you plan to fish they can be great.

I agree…this style of house can limit mobility (at least when ice anchors are needed). That said, I bought this house for outtings with my kids, in which I only have a few hours and have no intention of moving. Otherwise, my Voyageur gets the call for duty

><(((>

rofole
    River Falls, WI

used the command post a few times never had a problem with it.
    great shack for 4 or 5 guys and very easy to carry and set up but harrder to move than most shacks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.