Boat gps made portable

• get_hooked
    Dundee, Wi

I dont have, and at the moment, cant afford a handheld gps. so i finally made my boats locator/gps portable. i have the navionics “hotmaps” chip in it and hated that i couldn’t use it on the ice……till now. this is such a valuable tool on the ice.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

If it works for you Way to think outside of the box and be able to come up with a way to get the most out of what you got

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Nice work. I was thinking the same thing this am for out trucking around on big bodies of water. In the winter I use my old garmin etrex legend b&w GPS. It does a good job of getting me to my pre-marked way point and leaving a trail mark to follow, but it does not have lake map software.

My thoughts was to add a ram mount ball to the inside of my pickup so I could use my 997HB with my map chips out ice fishing. Would need to pick up another puck like you have and test places to mount. Would be nice to set puck on dash and get signal, but could fabricate a suction cup mount.

This would also be awesome as I wouldn’t have to manually type way points from my summer fishing into my old garmin unit.

Anyone do this? Nice work on your kit.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I just mount my Lowrance 332c on a Blue box and works the same way.

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

I have thought about doing this too, but I think it would be to big and bulky to carry around. I think I will save my money and buy the small Lowrance GPS unit.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

I have thought about doing this too, but I think it would be to big and bulky to carry around. I think I will save my money and buy the small Lowrance GPS unit.

Yes, but I get a 5″ screen and it is easy to find a spot, I tried the H2O and the small screen and then you have wait for the screen to update when your moving.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

This Post is begging for me to post my setup again

Just mounted a Ram mount ball on the wheeler, I use my flasher for fishing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My GPS unit last winter was a 112c mounted in similar fashion.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but I get a 5″ screen and it is easy to find a spot, I tried the H2O and the small screen and then you have wait for the screen to update when your moving.

Agreed I have the iFinder and I would love to have the humminbird mobile! The increased screen size would rock.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I’ll be sending my 334C into Lowrance soon, and they’re upgrading me to the 520 after some issues. I’ll be getting the ice pack for that unit. I love my 67C on the ice, but am looking forward to the bigger screen of the 520, plus the bigger GPS screen will be nice. I don’t really think it’ll be that much bigger than a flasher when it’s all in it’s case.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.