Alberta Reports – Above the Ice

• brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Well,Ill keep this thread for updates on how we do up here in Alberta.
    Today, the wind was rediculous… blowing a strong 31 kms per hour, couldnt even set up the tents! None the less I forgot my flasher at home…
    It was a late start, getting to the lake at 2pm giving us only a few hours to fish…. DO marked a lot on the flasher and we both lost some decent sized Walters until the tip up flag hit the sky. Landed a decent Pike and gave us something to smile about. ( caught him in 34 feet of water, 6 feet off the bottom )

Till next time….

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Nice way to salvage a tough day

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

it wasn’t to shabby… it was nice to see the reel spinning running up to the tip up, i wont lie

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Well.. headed out for a few hours to a local reservoir in hopes of some late night walleye and ended up with a headache from the wind. haha. Missed one fish on a tip up cause i couldnt find the dumb thing, and had a few chasers but no takers. Whats the secrets to night fishing ‘eyes? I manage to get on a few but any advice is welcome.

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Did another quick afternoon trip fishing this chinook we are having right now. Water all over the ice, ice pockets.. its getting nasty in Alberta and fishing was slow. Hooked into a few average northerns and took some neat pics.

Enjoy!

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

heading out in the dark to our southern alberta trophy lake, Newell to try for some dark eyes then monster pike in the day and see how long we make it for the rest of the hours

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

I wish this wind would settle down. Lived here my whole life and im still not used to it! The bad thing is i think the Chinooks we are having is effecting the feeding of the water lurkers…
    We will have to try again tomorrow. In +10c and 30km winds…

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Nice pikes!!!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I like this thread you have going on here Brandon, its like I am reading your fishing diary.

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Quote:

I like this thread you have going on here Brandon, its like I am reading your fishing diary.

thanks bud… give us a few hours and theres some NICE northerns from a day trip today.. planned to fish our trophy lake of the south but it was blowing at gusts of 52 kms hr!
    asked the good lord for some calmer winds and headed to a another reservoir and hooked into some good uns. not gagger, but best this winter.

All finese fishing… yes finesing pike… 4 lb test on medium light walleye rods…. and 1/16 oz jigging spoons and the odd tip up pike. add the in a few

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Nice pics Brandon It looks kinda ugly on the ice up there Not you guys but the conditions are ugly

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

here ya have em. yes, the fishing here sucks lately… chinook winds, melting snow… theres pockets in the ice already.. its nasty nasty.. ice is in the condition it should be in march! yuck

Richard V.

Nice lookin gaters

Heck of a difference a week makes, when you started this thread it looks like you have about 4″ of snow but now it is all gone. And by the amount of slush it looks like you have about a foot of ice. Am I pretty close? What is your temperature high and low lately?

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

Quote:

Nice lookin gaters

Heck of a difference a week makes, when you started this thread it looks like you have about 4″ of snow but now it is all gone. And by the amount of slush it looks like you have about a foot of ice. Am I pretty close? What is your temperature high and low lately?

You are darn close! But the ice hasnt melted, just the snow on top. We had close to 9″ is some most places on the lakes around here, not all the snow is melted, and rubber boots were nessesary for a couple of days but now the lakes are completely soli again, which makes for a good skating rink..
    It is on average +4 degrees celcius and -6 Degrees Celcius over night now…

We were out today again, didnt produce as many today but we lost some HOGS on the tip ups…
    Will be trying again tomorrow on and hopfully pull in a 10+ lber!

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

you are pretty close, for sure. the ice isnt melting but it is getting soft, lots of pockets and the bottom 5 inches is the only hard ice right now. makes for scary driving and scary rest of the season… also makes tent fishing impossible…

ya, DO is right, we did loose some gaggers on the tip ups…. one almost spooled the entire tip up… love pike fishing under the ice!

until next time tight lines

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

Well, Unfortunately for fishing matters, ive been called out for a big pipeline survey so i wont be icefishing for a week at least. But the day i get off of work B.O and i will be heading out for some Big Pike and Walleye.

Just dont want you forgetting out us! Haha

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

HEY! IM STILL HERE!!! HAHA

Sorry guys havent been able to get online and yak!
    Im in the middle of moving in the evenings and working. Damn Oil Patch here in Alberta has Sky Rocketed and i havent had a day off in 14 days now. Hopefully i can get out on the ice soon. Ill try my best to keep this thread going!

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

Alright, Im back in action!
    This weekend i will be participating in a Derby on a trophy lake along with my Father.
    Each year the winner is a 26lb and bigger pike so it should be interesting. Huge prizes and lots of fun!

This will be my first weekend off in a LONG time so i will enjoy every minute on the ice. I will keep you all posted!

Richard V.

Richard V.

Good luck

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

well as I know the derby was okay, some big fish but nothing was overly productive. Im heading out Saturday, my first day on the ice in over a month and I am drooling to say the least. I cant wait to try out some new product and trick some of these non-active fish into smashing some Teaser Leaders.

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

Alright… So the derby was very slow for us… i was SKUNKED both days. Weather was horrid… 26lbs was the first and seconds place winner.

BUT!!!!
    I had my redemption today! And what a day it was….
    Managed to catch 8 Pike. all respectable fish… and ONE MONSTER 23lber.

Here are the pictures! Dad caught a 17lb and brondon lost his what we guess to be around 25lbs. It was a great day for big fish and excitement!
    I will be returning to the ice tomorrow morning in hopes of another day like today!

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

Today was another great day… only caught 6 fish, 5 for me and 1 for dad… 3 of mine were fractions of a pound from eachother at 12lbs…. I will post pictures soon!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Wow nice pike there eh!

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

And these are the second day catches… all 12lbs within ounces of one another!
    Enjoy!

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Bud. Our first day was amazing, never exerienced THAT many BIG trophy fish consistently hooked. It makes me cringe to not be able to have had my fish completely out of the hole… UGH and to have hooked into that fish that we lost was upsetting to. It just was not my day…
    Hope we can get out there soon!!! im frothing. Oh… Im still a few lbs up on ya for biggest pike

outdoorsmen
    Medicine Hat, Alberta

Well, if i am not working this weekend ill be joining Brandon and Dad on the lake again in hopes of catching some more monsters!
    The weather is going to be very nice, +6 as a high, should be water on top of the ice, we may need to bring cleats….

brandonoutdoors
    Alberta, Canada

Well,
    As Dedicated had stated and I enforced that I lost a monster Northern Pike at the hole a few weekends ago, and then had one I lost that was again, a pig of a fish I had REDEMPTION!

Whooped the two partners with 8 fish landed, and one lost that was big and landed this toad! It was a good way to end the ice fishing season…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.