ventless heater in permanent

• gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

How many of you use them? Any worries or concerns with them? Im going to install one and was wondering if there is anything I need to worry about…

big_g
    Isle, MN

Are you sleeping in it ??? I would not have a problem with ventless, unless I was planning on passing out in it once in awhile… then NO WAY !!! Not worth the risk…. yeah they have safety shut offs, but I will take the unit with a vent & a safety shutoff everytime

big G

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

Are you sleeping in it ??? I would not have a problem with ventless, unless I was planning on passing out in it once in awhile… then NO WAY !!! Not worth the risk…. yeah they have safety shut offs, but I will take the unit with a vent & a safety shutoff everytime :

big G

Yep!

big-bird
    Prescott, WI

I had a ventless for years in my ice house and in the elk hunting tent works great! and the oxygen depletion sensor works great to! Sleep in both all the time!

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

If you want to risk the possibility of three plus days of pain in your arms or worse from CO poisoning, go ahead and get a cheap or ventless heater in your sleeper. The good ones are vented and rated RV quality (with corresponding price). Those of us who’ve experienced the fishhouse blues, even from a pin hole in an old clunker heater, will tell you it’s not worth it.

wkw

I was 15 minutes from death (according to the doctor) because of carbon monoxide. Even now my body seems to be sensitive to it ( or pranoid).
    I wouldn’t sleep in a shack with one of those for nothin!!

tstatz
    wis

Gonecribbin, The darn machine or its sensor only have to fail once to put you in real trouble.I always try to think these things through backwards,,, whats the worst outcome? The answer is totaly unacceptable.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d sure bring along a couple of battery operated CO2 detectors if you end up going that route.

Pete

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I agree with above, one bad experience and it makes you pretty set in your ways. Thankfully in my case, I fell off my chair and woke up. Dragged the other ko’d guy out of the shack, then puked for an hour or so, headache, puke, ish. As mentioned, one failure (in our case a bad 02 sensor) and it’s lights out. I felt so crappy for days after that I thought at times that it would have been better to not have fallen out of the chair. Really. CZ.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Thanks guys…. I have a 16 ft camper (fishhouse) I want to install it in… would leaving the roof window cranked open throughout the night be sufficient? I have a CO alarm and heater is equipped with Oxygen sensor… According to the manual, this unit can be installed in a house, and the window and door cracks provide enough ventilation… Now ya all got me scared!

big-bird
    Prescott, WI

guess I better go get a new heater.

big-bird
    Prescott, WI

where and what should be bought?

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Quote:

would leaving the roof window cranked open throughout the night be sufficient? I have a CO alarm and heater is equipped with Oxygen sensor… According to the manual, this unit can be installed in a house, and the window and door cracks provide enough ventilation…

I have gas piped many of these units for my customers. All in garages. Actually ran gas pipe to one for a guy this morning. The one reason I would never do it is because they stink like exhaust. No way I would stay in that all day and fish. I would do it right the first time and install a vented unit instead of opening all the windows and letting all the heat escape and burning more fuel.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Quote:

Quote:

would leaving the roof window cranked open throughout the night be sufficient? I have a CO alarm and heater is equipped with Oxygen sensor… According to the manual, this unit can be installed in a house, and the window and door cracks provide enough ventilation…

I have gas piped many of these units for my customers. All in garages. Actually ran gas pipe to one for a guy this morning. The one reason I would never do it is because they stink like exhaust. No way I would stay in that all day and fish. I would do it right the first time and install a vented unit instead of opening all the windows and letting all the heat escape and burning more fuel.

Stealthy… sending you a message…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.