Boot’s Boot’s Boot’s

• garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Ok, I got some money for christmas and just thought today I need a new pair of boots (pac) warm light and cheap,

I know you get what you pay for but come on all money is tight now

The pair these would be replacing are my 15yr + old
    sorells, I have a pair of lighter hunting boots that will take me through 25 degree or higher weather, but i am looking to replace my warm boots because the soles of my OLD sorells are like I have ice skates on. I haven’t iced fished in many years and I am thinking about getting back into it and would be using them to walk the dog (woods), blow the driveway and very late season hunting.

Like I said earlier I am also looking at a price range below about $75.00

These 2 boots are in Cabelas and would be in my price range any info good or bad on these 2

Irish setter

Kamik Nationplus

The setters say they are 4lbs 4oz per pair, is that light or heavy ??

Thanks.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

If I had to decide between the two boots you have presented here I would be purchasing the Irish Setter. In the day I have had Irish setter boots and they are a good mid grade boot. I know nothing about the Kamik’s other than the specs provided.

With the Irish Setters you are getting 400 grams of Thinsulate plus a 7mm felt liner (the way I read it).

With the Kamik you are only getting 200 grams of Thinsulate for insulation.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Garvi,

Both of these boots are nice good boots for hunting on land but I can’t recommend them for ice fishing. I have a pair of laCrosse Ice Kings that I would recommend but they are a little more than you want to spend. If you liked your Sorrels, they make a glacier model that is pretty good at around 130. cold feet have ruined many an ice outing and pay attention to the thermometer they show for rating. There are many things you can skimp on ice fishing, boots isn’t one of them.

whittsend

I’d look for a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burleys on sale… Might be able to find em for $80 if you get lucky.

Great boot, lots of insulation (1000-1200g thinsulate), totally waterproof unlike gore-tex and leather which can get soggy after a while….

very comfortable, probably much lighter than pac boots, easier to walk in and you can pretty much use them year round in just about any conditions with the right pair(s) of socks.. easy to get on/off, just a great boot. Might have to search for deals though…

http://www.shoebuy.com/lacrosse-alphaburly-sport-insul-mossy-oak-new-break-up/181908/409230

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I bought a pair of Cabelas outfitter boots on ebay last year. You may want to check there and see what they have in your size. I saw quite a few nice pairs of Sorel’s on there. The only bad thing about going this route is you don’t get to try them on.

Mens Boots on eBay

Good Luck!

kris_brantner
    My river

well i work for redwing shoes, so of course i am going to say irish setter. i have a bunch of pairs of irish setter boots an have nothing bad to say about them. never seen the model your looking at, but out of them two i would pick the setter

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Price range…..click on Mickey Mouse boots

I LOVE mine….

Order 1 size smaller…I usually wear a 9/2 – 10…(9s were perfect…

Totally waterproof,no liners,my feet stay toasty…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Which ever boots you decide..make sure there is plenty of room in them…with as many socks as you need to ware…your toes need to wiggle !!

Keeps the feets warm and cozy !!

justinwitmer

The Mickey Mouse boots gets my vote. I got a pair never worn with 2 pair of really great wool socks on Ebay for $35 bucks and $ 15 dollars for shipping. They are WARM

eisert

I’d have to say save up your money a little bit. IMO, 400 grams isn’t enough. I bought a pair of Rocky Blizzard Stalkers last year on clearance at Reed’s for $80.00 and I love them. 1200 gram thinsulate. I’ve sat on the ice in -30 all day and my feet never even got chilly. The rest of me was frozen solid, but my feet were warm! Just my 2cents.

eisert

By the way, a pair of poly socks with a pair of real wool socks over and a pair of ice cleats on your sorrells should only run you about $20 and might get you through till some end of year sales!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

The Mickey Mouse boots gets my vote. I got a pair never worn with 2 pair of really great wool socks on Ebay for $35 bucks and $ 15 dollars for shipping. They are WARM

Mickey Mouse boots are great when your activity level is low, but if you were hunting or walking the dog, they will make your feet feel like they are on fire.

I would look for something with 1000-1600 grams of thinsulate.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have to aree with Twister. Mudshark’s activity is low amoung other things.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Thanks for all the info guy’s

I guess my post was more of a nice comfortable, LIGHT weight(lbs), snow and ice boot with good traction with extreme warmth being last on the list.

I should also tell you that I have been in the downhill ski business my entire life so I have quite a bit of experience with cold feet and what to do to prevent it.
    Either that or my feet have been frozen so many times in my life (skiing for 47yrs) I just don’t feel it anymore.

After talking with many ski boot representives I would like to pass on some tips that has really worked for the ski industry in reguards to foot warmth.

The most important thing is to keep the foot dry. Sweat will make your foot wet which equals cold feet.

Most people get cold feet because they put on to much sock so their feet will sweat and that sweat/moisture is what makes the foot get cold.
    For example if you put all your heavy socks and boots on before you leave the house just think how warm your feet will be while you are driving and walking to your final destination. Your feet will be sweating the whole time and now when you stop all that moisture around your feet will cool off and your feet will get cold.

So something to try (which has worked very well for me)

1) Put your boots on at the final destination before exposure to the cold like the parking lot, or the chalet/ warming house.
    2) do not put alot of socks on, your feet have to breath.
    3) carry 1 or 2 pair of dry socks (moisture wicking) with you to your final/final destination. As soon as you feel any coldness getting to the foot either change to dry socks or add a layer for insulation from the cold getting to your foot.
    4) all ways dry your boots after each trip so moisture escapes from the boot (plus it helps with the smell )

5) if all else fails they do have those toe/hand warmers.

Sorry for carrying on so much, but give it a try.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m with you, the same can be said for the rest of the body too
    Most all the areas I fish are a good ½ hour plus away from home, I always wait to put on the last layer after arriving.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new foot wear

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I have to aree with Twister. Mudshark’s activity is low amoung other things.

Alright smart guy……I have had enough of these cheap shots ………….

Expect a challenge via PM….We’ll settle this once and for ALL…

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

baffin best boat i ever owned 4yrs const. three yrs working at zippel 3yrs fishing keepem dry with boot dryer last for ever doesnt matter amount of activ. just keep dry every night they go on the dryer neve have cold feet -30 northern MN by candan border cost is what you make of comfort my feet are always smileing

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.