When Puchasing A New

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

ice rod ,what do you look for ?

I am building 2 new ice rods for this year. I am going to use the StCroix carbon blanks(keep away from heat),I fish mainly out of a portable so I am thinkig 24″ is long enuff for me,also I am going to install the spring bobber on the rods.

What action rods do you like?

What style handle do you like and why.

Do you like the bigger guides for the occasional outside fishing?

Do like the wire guides? (less freeze up outside)

Thanks for your input in advance

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Just a thought – I had two new knees put in last year so flexibility and constant movement around the “hole” is a bit of an issue. Going to a 36″ or slightly longer blank would be a great help to me. Sucks to start the aging process. I think there was a post or video last year with guys using full size rods on the open ice….

Pete

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

Over the last few winters I have built 4 rods using the st. croix rod blanks and absolutely love them. I bought all of the supplies from Janns Netcraft. I put on the graphite tennesse ice handle. very light and extremely sensitive. The kit comes with the cork end caps as well. I just use electrical tape to attach the reel. IMO this gives a lot better feel than my rods w/ a reel seat.
    As far as guides, i used standard Fuji guides w/ a metal insert, a little larger than typically come with off-the-shelf rods, and have used a fly rod tip. The fly tips work very well, as they fit the small diam. tip of the blanks, yet have a larger opening so they dont ice up.
    The only blanks Janns had when i was buying the supplies were 28″, and I have used the medium and light actions. The medium are great for wallys, and i love my light for panfish. I would prefer a 24″ in the light actions though.
    Good luck, and have fun. Its awesome to catch the first fish on a your custom rod!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.