Lowrance XOG or H2O GPS Questions

• hib
    Waterloo, IA

I was looking for a versatile all in one unit to use with car, boat, sled and on the ice fishing and the Lowrance XOG looks as if it may fit the bill. It does not have WAAS. Is WAAS really needed? The Lowrance site has this note “Note: SD 2.0 memory cards will not work with the XOG Crossover GPS. This includes all SD memory cards over 4GB in size, most 4GB, and some 2GB memory cards.”
    I don’t understand what that means.
    Can the Lakemaster or Navionics chips work with this unit then?
    I know everyone here speaks highly of the H2O, so would this suit my needs or more appropriately my wants better than XOG? There are so many units on the market now. The more I look, the more confused I get. So whatcha think?
    BTW, Iowa and the upper Miss. river is where I fish.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The Lakemaster chip does work in the XOG. I can not comment on the Nav chip. I assume it would. However, the LM chip also has roads etc….

Currently, I don’t believe there is currently a good unit that will cross over from the vehicle to your boat/wheeler/outdoor use. I’m sure it’s just good marketing on the manufactures part. However, I believe the consumer demand will drive us there in the very near future.

If you want turn by turn, you’ll want to comapre the XOG to the Garmin Nuvi product line. If you simply want to see a map with roads, get the H20 with a LM chip.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

I wold say if you plan onusing the GPS 90% of the time in the CAR I would get the XOG. IT has more POI’s and comes preloaded with roads. and will give you all of that nation wide. Plus give you turn by turn direction.

However if you are really looking for a GPS that will be more for “outdoor” use and having say MN maps and some POI’s as a bonus. I would go with H20. Both are great at some things, and both I’m sure can effectively do others, but neither will do both excellently. My wife has a Garmin for the Turn by Turn. I have the H20 for fishing, but in MN can use it to find my way around if I need to now that I have the LM chip.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have both and I have a chip for the H2O but I think it is the Navionics chip, I will have to check to know for sure. I have not tried the chip in the XOG. The XOG works well on the road but the database in mine is a little out of date. It is easy to use and even the wife does not get frustrated except when it wants to take her a way she is not used to going – still gets you there and the auto recalculate allows you to go a certain way if you know it. The only issue I have with the H2O is that it is slow when working from the lake map chip. I have NOT played with the XOG on the water.

Good luck,
    Dave

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

After speaking with another IDO staff member, I bought a XOG for my dad for Christmas. I was leery because it did not support WAAS as well.
    I opened it, inserted a Lakemaster chip, turned it on and was instantly surprised. The XOG had my location perfectly. After using it for a few days, I went out and bought one for me.
    The only thing that I dislike is the short battery life, 3-4 hours. Other than that I have to give it two
    It is not compatible with the Navionics chip.

Ron

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

The Navionics chip does work in the XOG. I have loaded it for multiple customers. As far as a unit for vehicle mainly with some hunting and fishing the XOG is a great way to go.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Ok then, I can not get my Navs chip to work.
    If I load it will the XOG is off, I get nothing and I mean nothing, roads disappear.
    If I load it while the XOG is on it chirps like I loaded a chip then I see NO improvement with lakes.

PM sent.

Ron

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I have the XOG with a Lakemaster chip in it and really like it in the car. I also use it in the front of my boat by plugging it in to a 12V outlet(battery life isn’t very good at all). It works ok in the boat, but if it is a sunny day the screen washes out big time. My dad has the H2O and it is the only way to go if you are going to use it mainly outdoors and running on the battery as a true hand held, but without turn by turn it isn’t much good for use in the car. Overall I would got with the XOG, but don’t count on more than an hour and a half of reliable battery life.

hib
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks a bunch guys. I wondered about battery life in the XOG and how it would perform in direct sunlight. My main use would be on the water so I’m thinking the H2O would suit me best. The wifes birthday is coming up, may have to get her a unit. Then I’ll have one for trips in the truck

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

It is not compatible with the Navionics chip.

I made this statement after trying to load my Navionics chip into my XOG and failing miserably but with the help of a IDO member, Forester, I got it to work.
    So I learned two things. One, our members are full of great information and two, never say something does not work just because you can not get it to work
    I will just say that I can not get it to work next time.

Thanks Forester

Ron

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

No problem at all Slider. I’m glad I could help you out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.