Zack Shacks

• nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Anybody own one, or have any information on them? There is a dealer near me, and their smaller size and weight may be better for the amount of ice we get in Central Iowa. Id be interested to hear any feedback, good or bad.

mrwalleye
    MN

I did get to fish in one, a 6×10 and it was very warm the temp outside was -25 and windy, and with a Mr Heater cooker on low we had to keep a window open about 4″,
    the setup was fast and easy, and the 2 doors in the back make it easy to load a 4 wheeler,
    the only thing that I did not like was the interior (exposed foam) but it looks like that would be easy to cover up,
    I dont know if they all come that way or not.
    And I do like the fact that they float

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I drove to Worthington last Winter thinking I was gonna get one. After looking them over pretty well, I decided there were a few things lacking that I really wanted. I liked the fact that a wheeler could be parked inside but their advertising is a bit on the fluffy side IMHO. There is NO way a wheeler could pull one of those things out on the ice if there was ANY amount of snow. I am going to put tracks on my wheeler and the doors are not wide enough for that..so a 2nd thumbs down on that. Regarding the insulation showing, if you get the top model it will come painted. I’d still prefer paneling of some sort but that would be easy to do. Next thing I noticed was the shacks I looked at were brand new….but very rusty frames, hitches, tank holders. I also noticed their max load was rated at 1000#. Given that, I called Zack in Mandan, N.Dak. and talked with one of their honchos. I asked for a shack that had galvanized frames and exposed steel for us here in Mn where they use salt on the roads. I also asked for a heavier axle to get the payload up a bit. My Polaris X2 with racks, full of fuel etc plus blade and winch exceeds that, not to mention the weight of my gear, chairs etc. Last thing I asked for was a wider door, or ramp, so I could get a wheeler with tracks into it. I notice they have taken some of those suggestions and implemented them this year…..meaning they now offer a unit with heavier axle. They still don’t offer a wider door, no galvanizing or aluminum frame. Just my observations so far….I really like the patent they have for lowering the shack..slick, fast and easy. LG

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Thanks guys. Around here we dont get ice we can drive trucks on every year, so we are pretty much committed to atvs. And the paneling does look a lot nicer, but Im more concerned about anything that adds weight, some years we dont get any more than 10-12 inches of ice.

desperado

I think FLOAT is a misleading word, I would call them BOYANT.

To me “float” means you can stand or sit in it when it’s in open water and your feet stay dry (your fishing boat floats).

“Boyant” means it won’t sink to the bottom. When an 8 foot tall shack is bobbing with three feet of the shack below the water line and five feet above the water line . . . AND . . . there’s enough water inside the shack to get you wet up to somewhere between your knees and your belly button, that’s boyant.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.