Black Hawk County Ice Fishing

• zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Hit some public lakes on Thursday and Saturday and managed to get some nice gills and crappies. All fish were caught in 14 feet of water will glow in the dark gill pills and diamond jigs tipped with a waxie. The gill next to my foot was 9.5 to 10 inches long and was released.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Very nice
    Glad to see people are still gettong out with this weather

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Hey Zach, way to go!!! Did you get a photo of that sumo gill? Nice post and congrats on the catch!!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

Hey Zach, way to go!!! Did you get a photo of that sumo gill? Nice post and congrats on the catch!!

And now I see it. Nice fish!!! Can’t wait to get on some crappies here in Dyersville

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

It will be great to get out on the ponds and get some night crappies. I heard at Bard, some 1 lb plus bluegills have been taken. I think the turd kept them though. We need to put those big ones back. I can’t wait untill next weekend Steve. Take Care

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Here is some more pictures from Saturday. Brad decided he would come join me after a quick stop at Wendy’s. Thanks for the Junior Bacon’s and the Soda!!

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

The few gills I kept and ate that night were awesome! They were much warmer than the junior bacon cheesburgers!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Got a quick question, is Black Hawk Lake in the same named county? Was under the impression that the lake froze out a few years back and the IDNR was trying feverishly to re-introduce sport fish. Been quite a few years since I’ve made it out that way.

redneck
    Rosemount

Nice fish young man! Thanks for letting the big ones go It’s nice to see young people who understand the big picture—it took me considerably longer to figure it out You’re not missing much on Pool 4 right now—it’s pretty darn cold here for open water fishing. Hope to meet up again on the big river one of these days!

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

I haven’t heard of a black hawk lake around here. A quick on-line search showed one in Sac County though, maybe that’s it?

Good to hear from you, Redneck. Hope to run into you again this spring.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I think he was saying around the Waterloo/Cedar falls area, not Black Hawk lake. I was out Thu. too, what kind of truck you drive might have seen you.
    Nice catch by the way.

redneck
    Rosemount

Hey RiverFisher, you know where to find me in the Spring Hope you boys make it up and please bring some nice weather with you!

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I am already starting to plan to get back up to Redwing. That was unreal and a whole lot of fun!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.