St Croix Ice Rod

• happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I’m looking at purchasing a new ice fishing rod and I think I’m going to drop the big bucks for a st croix because of a lot of great reviews. Just looking for any advice on rod action since I would like to use it for both panfish and walleye. Thanks!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

UL is hands down the panfish favorite.If you are looking for a compromise,perhaps go with the light action and a couple differnt springs for lure weights as needed.

Or….we could just get you one of each!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I truely think Dean hit it right on the head with suggesting the light action rod,using additional springs for a muti species rod.

JMHO Jeff

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I really like the 17inch legend. buy a couple of springs and call it good. Any St. Croix is a good way to go though

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Being able to get dual purpose out of a rod may be stretching it. I could see you getting a walleye rod but to make it work well for panfish you would have to change line and add a spring bobber. Then changing it back to target the other species. For me I would go with 2 different combos.

The legend ice rods sure look nice but I think you can get some good combos for about half that money. Look at there premier rods. The pir28ml is a good walleye rod when paired up with 4 or 6# test. They have these is ultalight models also and only run $20 on there site. Think I paid $24 last year at a bait shop.

For pan fish reels these are still my favorite when paired up with 2# test. They will also handle a walleye or pike and I think a ton of fun to do so when put to the test.

NT ice reels

There are also many good light spinning reels that would work. Some one else will need to suggest one to you as I havent been using any for a good number of years.

Hope this helps.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for the advice everyone! Has anyone tried the Custom Jigs “worlds greatest spring bobber” made with fiber optics? Just wondering if they are any better than the little springs that tend to freeze.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Are the spring bobbers for St Croix sold only as a replacement for the St Croix rod, or can you fasten these spring bobbers to another generic rod?

Seth Larson
    Winfield, MO

They are not the Worlds greatest spring bobber. St Croix makes the best.

chrispy003
    Superior, Wisconsin

Last year I bought a ML and UL premiere series and was very happy with both of them. Although, I was preparing my stuff for fishing this winter and noticed that my drag was seized up on both of them. I keep them in my garage so maybe i just need some anti freeze lube in the reel. Has anyone else had this problem before? Any other suggestions

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Not very often will you here me say anything negative regarding St Croix..but lets just say I no longer carry the combos.The reels just were not to what I have come to expect from a quality orientated source like St Croix.
    Try using some quantum hot- sauce to see if ya might improve it. Hope that might help!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.