2/23/08 Pool 8 Walleye & Sauger

• neutron
    Onalaska, Wi

I woke up early this morning (4:00), so I grabed my equipment and headed for the ice. There wasn’t much of an early bite, but it beats rolling around in bed. Around 6:00 the fish decided it was breakfast time. I iced a nice Walleye just a hair over 16″. There was pretty steady action until I left at 9:00. I caught a few short Walleyes and sauger, but mixed in were some nice sauger. I kept 5 sauger 14″-17″ for a couple of fish fries.

The area that was most productive today was the 17′-20′ of water. Taking a page from Bret C, I did a lot of changing baits. I used every color and size of Jig-N-Rap in my box. The color that was the best for me today, was any combination with orange on it. Both #5 and #7 worked well. I also had a dead stick down with a minnow on an orange hook. I caught multiple fish on the dead sitck with most of them being small.

I had intended on moving around more this morning but again my throttle froze up on my auger. I am open to any suggestions on what to use to keep it freed up. I dried the auger out after my last trip and sprayed the linkage with WD40, wrong in these cold temps. I have a 25+ year old Eskimo that has never caused me this kind of trouble. The throttle is mechanical with no cables just two small springs that swing the mechanism.

Even with the auger problems it was a good morning to be on the ice. This is my first try at addig a photo, hope it works out.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.