Question about flashers

• anderson_dc
    Pleasant Hill, IA

I currently own a Vexilar FL-18 Ultra and it is a great unit; pretty much does everything i ask it to do. A couple of buddies bought the FL-20 last year and i was able to fish with it some and it is one heck of a nice unit.

Cabelas is having their Visa day soon and im in the market for a new flasher. I have narrowed it down to the Marcum LX-5 or the Vexilar FL-20. To be honest i have never used the Marcum so i was looking for an honest opinion from people who own or have used either flasher. What is going to be the best option for a guy who fishes in water no deeper then 25-30 feet?

Thanks in advance!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

First of all, WELCOME TO IDA

Alls I can say is “PERSONAL PREFERENCE” IMO.

I’m undecided as well, between the 2.

EDIT: This is not a FORD vs CHEVY debate…….. Because, we all know FORD is better.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Bought the Marcum lx-5 last season and it does a great job. Converted it to my boat for open water also. Definetley a unit you can trust. No problems marking fish from 2ft.on down.
    ……………………………….(Chevy )

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I own both, that way I do not have to worry.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

First of all, Welcome to IDA!!! You will find many opinions here on the Marcum vs Vexilar debate. Take all with a grain of salt… they are only opinions.

Personally, I reviewed the pros and cons of both systems side by side. I did a ton of research. And the opinion I came to was that I liked the Marcum LX5. I just purchased new last year and was extremely satisfied. I love the true color display, the fineline… the dual transducer, the side by side with zoom, etc…. Just overall, I am glad I purchased the LX-5 over the Vexilar. My suggestion is that, after receiving as many opinions as you can, go to a store that has working models side by side and see the differences for yourself.

If you do go the route of the LX5, I have one other suggestion. The prices marked at most stores are going to be exactly the same. I am not sure what kind of discount that the visa says give you, but if it does not cover the taxes or gas money to pick it up… consider purchasing through IDA sponsor Jolly Ann Marine. Wade is the proprietor and is on this site all the time. Last I checked, no taxes outside of Iowa and no shipping. I saved myself about $60-$80 purchasing through him. Wade is a top notch guy… just do some searches on the site and see people’s responses from purchasing from him. I have made the commitment already that, if I am in the market for something, and wade sells it… he has got my business. Go here for more info on his products: Jolly Ann Marine

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Oops… I just saw that you are in Iowa… I would still check with Wade, though… great businessman!!!

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I just made the switch from an Fl-8 to a Marcum LX-5 my buddy has an Fl-18 and I like the LX-5 a ton better than it.

I would go with the Lx-5.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Wade can fix you up, just have it shipped to a friend or family member outside IA. He’s busy bass fishing this weekend here at the Missouri River tourney. Welcome to the site, I’ve come to the same cross roads which you are at, both will tell you exactly the same info, your preference on how you interpret this info is where you must decide. Try to test drive each unit and make a fair comparison. You will not be disappointed in either unit.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

First off welcome to IDA

I have laid off this question because most here know I am a firm believer in the Marcum products, with that said…..check out the statistics closely on both brands of flashers. From there choose the one that you believe suits your needs the most.

Flashers will help put fish on top of the ice

Bret

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

One last bit of advice. This above all else.

regardless of whatever flasher you choose… be happy with your decision. Confidence is the best equipment you can bring out on the ice with you. Through Confidence, you will learn how to use your equipment better and you will catch more fish!

bigpike

The units they make now are so good I dont think you can go wrong with either brand, I love my LX-3 and LX-5. There are a few features on the other brand I wish I had, but my buddy likes a few of the features I have that he dosen’t. overall preformance is excellent on either brand! Personal preference wins out!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

targaman, I had the 8 for a number of years.

If you don\’t want to spend any money…don\’t watch one of the new Vex\’s or Marcums. The sensitivity and interferance rejection is sooooo much better they don\’t compair. Don\’t even consider the zoom or dual cones.

A flasher is better than no flasher of course.

(Notice I didn\’t menion that I love my LX-5?)

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

The features that I really like on my Lx-5 that I don\\\\\\\’t think Vexilar has are:
    1.The adjustable zoom; you can move it up and down in the water column To target the area you want, not just the last 5 feet
    2.the Super fine line
    3.The dual beam transducer. I know, I know, vex has one too but I really like the feature

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I like the Lx-5…because it\’s Red!

bigpike

I like the new face on the Vex, no snow/ice build up on it, one very nice feature I wish mine had…

anderson_dc
    Pleasant Hill, IA

Thanks for all of the input fellas. I was able to check out an LX-5 this weekend and i can say that im not in love with how large the transducer head is. 95% of the time im icefishing i have my transducer head placed right below the ice-hole and the cord running up the edge so having a float really makes little use for me. I do it this way to reduce the amount of hang ups i have with my line and the cord. Im wondering how a large transducer head will affect the amount of hang ups i get.

My vision isnt the greatest anymore so having the larger screen on the fl-20 is a distinct advantage. Has anyone tried the magnifying lens that vexilar makes on an lx-5?

One other concern of mine is that im pretty mobile on the ice and really dont run the heater all that much unless it is bitterly cold out. I worry a bit about how the battery power will hold up on the lx-5 since it is drawing so much power.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very good questions and concerns

I do not need to put the transducer on my LX-5 to the bottom of the hole and it works just fine. I am fishing in an 8 inch hole and have not noticed any more hang ups with the LX-5 than I had with the Vex I once had. If you are using a power auger it does not take much time to punch a hole for the transducer tight to the hole you fish from, this eliminates hang ups all together for both brands.

I have ran my LX-5 for 2 days of fishing without charging it at the last Ice GTG on Mille Lacs. I had a spare battery along and never needed it, not that on a weekend trip I’m not taking my spare.

Bret

anderson_dc
    Pleasant Hill, IA

Well, i went ahead and bought a Marcum LX-5 at Cabelas last weekend. I had them ship in the marcum as well as a Vexilar FL-20 19 degree so i would have both options to choose from. I dont think i could have gone wrong with either and i cannot wait for the icefishing season to start. Thanks for all the input fellas!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Sounds like you are set

Come on ice

scottsteil
    Central MN

After using the LX-5 a few times you won’t notice the larger transducer and you will be VERY glad you have the dual beam. You don’t know what you are missing until you use your dual beam to its fullest. If you have any questions on the LX-5 or are looking for some operation tips don’t be affraid to ask

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

After using the LX-5 a few times you won’t notice the larger transducer and you will be VERY glad you have the dual beam. You don’t know what you are missing until you use your dual beam to its fullest. If you have any questions on the LX-5 or are looking for some operation tips don’t be affraid to ask

ditto!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

So would this make me ditto, ditto

Come on ice

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.