A Great Year for Icefishing

• djorg
    Central City, NE

What lakes in Nebraska did you fish through the ice this year? Any great results?

I was able to fish: Box Butte, Smith, Willow, Erickson, Goose, and Sherman. I was able to fish Pibel before and after its demise.

I wasn’t able to make it to Merritt this year; which is a mortal sin for me.

Smith, Willow and Sherman were the best for me this year. With Sherman being a real hot spot for a lot of anglers this year. I have never seen the numbers of ice fishermen on Sherman such as this year. She showed her true colors this winter.

We laid our urge to icefish to rest today at Willow; as always we caught hundreds of small, and I do mean small, perch. 3-5″ perch were the norm. Eventhough they are small, they still flair their gill plates and fins and try to look impressive. We caught enough of the next year class to make for some good eating. Big fish? …two fish over 10″ one of which will probably be a MA.

Eighteen days on the ice since the first of the year. Thanks for a winter with ice………………….those 18 days would have been real boring without it

Good Fishin”
    dj

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

This was a wonderful year for ice fishing in Nebraska! I was fortunate to get to spend several days on the ice this year with some great results. I caught more walleye through the ice than I ever have before. I caught almost all of my walleye this winter at Sherman Reservoir. What a great lake. Most of the eyes I caught were in the 15-18 inch range but I managed to always get a couple of fish for the frying pan on every trip up there. My biggest eye this winter was only 23 inches but I’m saving the bigger eyes for tournaments this spring and summer. I had several different friends come along on trips to Sherman this year and a couple different times they were able to land some bigger eyes. My friend Layne landed the fattest 24 incher I have ever seen in Nebraska. It weighed 5 lbs 10 oz., what a pig!! I’m very excited about fishing open water this year. My tournament season gets underway in just over 5 weeks. I’m hoping to have the boat in some water soon as the ice should be going out rather quickly with the nice weather forecasted for the weeks to come. I will be looking forward to ice again next year. We can only hope that our future winters will be like this one was.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.