Caution: Disturbing and graphic pictures

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Well, today certainly sucked.

I thought it was going to be a fantastic day. My trip to St Louis got cancelled, and my daughter had an early out from school. Clouds with bad weather coming meant a great afternoon to take off form work and do some ice fishing.

Well, at least the fishing was pretty good.

Unfortunately, during the trip, one of my best ice fishing companions died a horrible, horrible death. We’ve been fishing together for five years now, and he’s always been there for me when I need to cut through a couple feet of rock-solid ice.

Today, he revved up and put about 6 holes down, but on the 7th there was a loud *CLANK* and a sudden stop. Frozen solid. At home, I performed a preliminary autopsy.

I’ll warn you, the pictures you’re about to see are disturbing. They will likely make you want to run to your garage or fish house and hug your own loved one.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

The preliminary coronor’s report indicates that premature death caused by large chunks of metal floating around in the crankcase and cylinder head.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

After getting it apart a little more, I noticed the gaping hole that the bearing blew in the crankcase when it went. Lucky for me that’s the side that’s facing away from my private parts when I’m operating it.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I wish I had a video of me running it that I could slow-motion to the tune of “Everybody Hurts” by REM. I’ve got it torn down the just the engine crankcase, head, and clutch. I’ve searced out all of the stampings in the casting and am desperately mailing every small engine shop in the country looking for a replacment.

Hopes are alive, but dimming fast.

Is my ice season over already?

ARCH
    southern minnesota

Lucky it was turned the other way, you might have had a hole in your crank case

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Lots of Great deals on new ones at the end of the season

blufloyd

Check out weed wacker rc boats you can probably put some sort of hot rod engine on there now….

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

STOP THE PRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D-Rock is where you need to go… here is more info:

Here is the deal. looks like you have the Magnum 49cc auger. My father has that EXACT auger. I have the 33cc auger. Just today, my father was on the phone with strikemaster (who bought out OPE years ago). Strikemaster does not carry old parts for that auger. But he directed him to D-Rock. My father was having problems with the recoil on his auger. He brought in the entire top of the auger (take off the 3 screws, and took the entire cover with the recoil assemble in)…. they traded him out the entire cover and recoil assembly for $25.00. They have an entire stock of refurbished parts for the Magnum 49cc. Phone number is 651-639-0446. URL is:

http://www.drockicecenter.com

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a close one can be real tough. Just know that their in a better place….A place where the ice drills real easy and the temps are always on the warmer side not leaning her out….

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Loosing a loved one is never good, but what did you expect from a Strike Master? JK…

Send me a PM if your interested in the one that will not leave you alone in a pinch.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have the same one in operation. She is 16 years old, and still running like a champ! I pray you find the parts you need to again have her singing that sweet tune once more!

cb2
    Bemidji, MN

that’s a sad story, if i had an ice auger, i would hug it now and say everything’s ok. i won’t let that happen to you.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Get down close to her carb and whisper…”Don’t go towards the light!”

She might come back.

rangerski
    North Metro

I have an identical unit that is in great shape that I dont use anymore that you could use for parts to build a operable one. I would sell for cheap, pm if interested.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.