Metro Lakes ???

• kabbie55106

Anyone been on the metro lakes recently ? Any ice and/or fish reports. I havent been fishing since xmas day and want to get out this week end. Any info is helpful.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

My brothers have been out alot on some smaller lakes lately. They have been doing very well on the Crappies and have reported a good 8″-10″ of ice on the lakes they have fished.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I was on a smaller lake on Sunday and the ice was around 10 inches thick. The pike were hitting hard and fast!

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i was out on phalen this morning , got a few nice northerns , ice is about 6-8 inches out from the boat launch ….

kabbie55106

Thanks for the reports. I fish Phalen alot, glad to hear the ice is safe to walk on at least. I am planning on Saturday or Sunday of fishing. Weather doesnt look to bad either …
    Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 21.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 10.

Sunday: A slight chance of snow. Partly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Stay safe out there.

kruger
    Metro,mn

I have been on the smaller lakes in the metro and there is about 8 to 10 inches of good ice.
    Look for the crappie bite in the early morning on all south metro lakes

amarble_eye

hey man though lakes are freezing be very cautious. i was out on cedar and that chain of lake area and the ice was so thin i could not even walk out. so be carefull.

FIRETIGER
    MN/WI

Phalen had about 8 a few days ago and White Bear Lake had 10-12 as of yesterday.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

sweeeeeeet are they biting now ?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The ice is getting steadily thicker on the minneapolis lakes. People have been fishing Nokomis and Isles since early december… because thats about all you could fish. Calhoun and Harriet is seeing some foot traffic now. The water that stayed frozen has quite a bit of ice now, the stuff that just refroze early this month has seen some foot traffic in areas.. I have no idea how much ice, but I am going to find out one of these days.

Calhoun has a few fat walleyes and a couple muskies with my name written all over them!

lamarboarder911
    maple grove mn

i was out on buffalow sunday, we drove out. 14 inche of ice. caught a lot of tiny 4 inch crappies in the morning. moved away by our selves and caught a limit of nice tens and a few bigger. along with that we caught eight waleyes, one keeper. just get by your selfe on that lake i think that is the key.

kabbie55106

I made it out to Phalen on Saturday. Fish for an hour didnt get a bite. So I decide to put the hand auger and camera to work. I drilled a bunch of holes and dropped the camera down them all. I seen 1 crappie in 8 feet of water sitting right on the bottom.

There was about 8-9 inches of ice, but due to the fire department boat test, there were lots of chunks sticking up that caused a little tripping hazard near the boat ramp.

Between the hockey rinks and the beach the ice was nice and flat and there is a road to walk on.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Hey crappiechaser, I was just out on a metro lake last nite and the crappies were not bitting it was REALLY slow

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I made it out on Harriet for a short outing last night.. 6″ of perfect clear ice where I was at, several peoplefishing on the lake. I was fishing where it was open water just a couple weeks ago with boats launching.

A bunch of small crappies for me(what I was targeting).. nothing of any size. It was nice to be o a different metro lake.

I might head over to Calhoun tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to join me. Send me a PM if interested. I plan on getting out there and watching tip ups for a couple hours, then fishing walleyes for a couple more.

lamarboarder911
    maple grove mn

hey kruger, i had the same probelem for a while on buffalow the bite was really slow, i out a spring bobber on and the bite picked up fast. the bite was so lite, you wouldnt of been able to catch them without it.

FishHead
    ST Paul

The ice is about 12 inches on Bald Eagle. Caught a ton of 6 in crappies during the day no less. I was wondering to you really bike on the ice and is that pedal or motorized? Do you ever wipe out?

kabbie55106

YES i do pedal on the ice. i havent owned a car in 6 years and love to to ride so it works for me. i have slipped a few times but never really wiped out. i now have a trailer that i have used a couple times and it makes it a little easier to slip. before anyone ask i am legal to drive just to cheap to buy a car, lmao. going out to phalen tonight but wont be on bike, borrowed a car, lmao.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.